Det Norske Drills Two Dry Wells
Det norske oljeselskap reported Tuesday that it has completed the drilling of its wildcat well targeting the Kvitvola prospect offshore Norway but that the well was dry. Meanwhile, the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate reported that the same firm also drilled another duster some 19 miles northeast of the Valhall field in the southern part of the North Sea.
The Kvitvola well (Well 34/7-36 S T2), located approximately three miles west of the Visund field, aimed to prove petroleum in Upper Jurassic, Draupne sandstones, while a second target was the underlying Brent Group. The well encountered no reservoir in the Draupne formation while the secondary target also failed to find hydrocarbons.
The well was the first exploration well on production license 553. Drilled by the Borgland Dolphin (mid-water semisub) rig, it will now be permanently plugged and abandoned.
Det norske is the operator of PL553 with a 40-percent interest. Svenska Petroleum and Bayerngas hold 35-percent and 25-percent stakes respectively.
Wildcat well 2/9-5 S also aimed to prove petroleum in Upper Jurassic rocks and had a secondary target in Pre-Jurassic reservoir rocks. However, the well's primary exploration target only had thin sandstones while there were few and thin sandstones in the secondary exploration target.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Det Norske Completes Merger with BP Norge, Creates Aker BP (Sep 30)
- Lundin Granted Drilling Permit Offshore Norway (Sep 20)
- Det Norske Increases Production Guidance for 2016 (Sep 14)
Company: Svenska Petroleum more info
- Det Norske Buys Svenska Petroleum's Norwegian Business for $75M (Oct 14)
- Det Norske Drills Two Dry Wells (Sep 09)
- Statoil Finds Oil, Gas at Askja (Jan 02)
Company: Bayerngas Norge AS more info
- Centrica Merges Oil Business with Bayerngas to Tap Younger Fields (Jul 17)
- NPD Grants Lundin Drilling Permit for Well 16/4-10 (Nov 30)
- Wintershall Completes Takeover of Vega Field in the North Sea (Mar 04)