AWE Deepens Drilling at Senecio-3 in Perth Basin After Elevated Gas Shows
AWE Limited, as Operator of Permits L1/L2 in the Perth Basin, Western Australia, disclosed that as at 06:00 hours (6.00am) AWST Tuesday, the Senecio-3 appraisal well had drilled an 8.5 inch hole to a revised Total Depth (TD) of 11,056 feet (3,370 meters).
The Dongara/Wagina formation was intersected from 8,645 feet (2,635 meters) to 9,051 feet (2,759 meters) which is in line with AWE’s initial prognosis.
Elevated gas shows were observed below the Dongara/Wagina and it was decided to deepen the well beyond the original TD of 9,130 feet (2,783 meters) to a revised TD of 11,056 feet (3,370 meters). Current status of operations is that the well has been drilled to a revised TD of 11,056 feet (3,370 meters) and wireline logging is in progress.
The Senecio-3 appraisal well is designed to test the unconventional gas potential in the western side of the Senecio reservoir. Core samples and log data will be collected and sent for analysis and AWE will not conduct hydraulic fracture stimulation on Senecio-3 at this stage.
If the results are positive, AWE anticipates commencing the approvals process for the first phase of the Senecio unconventional gas field development. The Senecio-3 well could potentially be completed as a production well in a future field development.
The Senecio-3 appraisal well is located on agricultural land approximately 9 miles (14.5 kilometers) east of Dongara, Western Australia, and 4.3 miles (7 kilometers) from the operating Dongara gas plant.
The Joint Venture partners in L1/L2 are:
- AWE Limited (via subsidiaries) (Operator) - 50.0 percent
- Origin Energy Resources Limited - 50.0 percent
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Energy Titans Get Schooled in Sharing as Billions Seen Blown (May 09)
- Australia's Origin Energy Doubles Stake In Beetaloo Shale Gas Field (May 05)
Company: Australian Worldwide Exploration (AWE) more info
- Waitsia Gas Project Exceeds Pre-Production Expectations (Dec 22)
- Waitsia JV Approves 2017 Development Activities Budget (Dec 09)
- AWE Commences Gas Sales from Stage 1 of Waitsia Gas Project in Perth Basin (Aug 29)