Keppel FELS Delivers Newbuild Jackup 'Dukhan' to Qatar's GDI
Keppel Corporation announced Thursday that Keppel FELS Limited (Keppel FELS), a unit of its subsidiary Keppel Offshore & Marine (KOM), delivered its fourth jackup Dukhan (300' ILC), to Gulf Drilling International Ltd. q.s.c. (GDI) of Qatar nine days ahead of schedule, on budget and with a perfect safety record.
“Dukhan” is a high specification rig built to Keppel’s proprietary KFELS B Class design. Keppel FELS has previously delivered three similar jackups to GDI; Al Khor (300' ILC), Al Zubarah (300' ILC) and Les-hat (300' ILC).
Wong Kok Seng managing director (Offshore) of Keppel O&M and Keppel FELS said, “We are pleased to deliver another major project to GDI early, on budget and to their highest satisfaction. It is a result of the strong partnership we have built with GDI over the years on a variety of projects. Repeat customers are a testament to the quality of Keppel O&M's products and services as well as the effectiveness of our proprietary designs. I am confident that Dukhan will be just as successful for GDI as the three rigs we have delivered to them since 2006.
“In addition, our shipyard in Qatar, Nakilat-Keppel O&M (N-KOM), is also supporting GDI with the repair and maintenance of their rig fleet. N-KOM has recently secured a contract to build a customized liftboat for GDI. We look forward to supporting GDI as they expand their offshore fleet and presence in the Middle East.”
Customized for GDI with features that enable it to work anywhere in Qatar, Dukhan will be chartered to Qatar Petroleum for five years. The KFELS B Class is equipped with larger spud cans for reduced bearing pressure which expands its operational coverage, especially in sea beds where soft soil is predominant. It includes a 15,000 psi choke system for well control and can drill wells through 30,000 feet with a cantilever that can skid out 75 feet from the edge of the hull to drill wells. It also features offline stand building and 7,500 psi mud pumps.
Besides the four jackups Keppel has built for GDI, N-KOM, its joint venture shipyard with Qatar Gas Transport Company, is constructing a self-propelled and self-elevating liftboat customized for GDI. N-KOM has also been awarded a six-year repair and maintenance contract for GDI’s fleet of jackups operating in the Middle East.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Keppel FELS Delivers Floatel Triumph, Upcoming Work at Wheatstone Field (Sep 30)
- Asia Oil, Gas Layoffs Mount as Industry Recovery Stays Elusive (Sep 08)
- Keppel FELS Delivers Jackup UMW Naga 8 to Malaysia's UMW Oil & Gas (Sep 02)
Company: Qatar Petroleum more info
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- Qatar Says It's Fulfilling Oil and Gas Deals Despite Gulf Crisis (Sep 13)
- Cyprus Says to Push Ahead with Energy Plans Despite Challenges (Jun 29)
Company: Gulf Drilling International more info
- Keppel FELS Delivers Newbuild Jackup Halul to Gulf Drilling International (Jan 26)
- Keppel O&M Posts 4Q 2015 Net Loss of $42.5M, Updates on Brazil Contracts (Jan 22)
- Gulf International Drilling's Contracts Hit by Low Oil Prices (Apr 13)