Apache Makes Major Oil Find at Phoenix South-1 Well in North West Shelf
Carnarvon Petroleum Limited (Carnarvon) announced Monday a significant oil discovery in the Phoenix South-1 well in permit WA-435-P in the North West Shelf in Western Australia. The discovery represents one of the most significant developments in Australian oil and gas in recent times. At this preliminary stage it is too early to quantify the recoverable volumes of oil. Further technical evaluation of log and core data will enable Carnarvon and its partners to be in a position to make that information public by the end of 2014.
Managing Director, Adrian Cook said; “Carnarvon is excited to be part of this major new oil discovery at Phoenix South-1. This is the most significant new oil play in the North West Shelf since the Enfield discovery opened up the Exmouth Basin almost 20 years ago. The implications on the rest of our acreage are still being assessed, but the potential is extraordinary.
I’m very proud to be involved with the Carnarvon team in taking a very early position in this area with our initial partner, Finder Exploration. A great deal of credit for this discovery also rests with Apache Energy who is the operator of the Phoenix South-1 well. Despite some initial challenges and setbacks, this well has delivered a significantly better outcome than any of us could have imagined.”
The cost estimate for the well to completion, including additional drilling, is within the guidance previously articulated to the market, and Carnarvon’s net cost for this well is expected to be around $5.59 million (AUD 6 million). Carnarvon reported cash holdings of $46.57 millin (AUD 50 million) as at June 30 and accordingly is in a strong position to fund these costs.
A technical evaluation of the results to date is provided at the end of this report.
The discovery of oil in the Phoenix South-1 well in WA-435-P has significant implications for the rest of the permit and the surrounding 7,722 square miles (20,000 square kilometers), of which Carnarvon is holding a material equity interest. Work is currently underway to re-evaluate the previous Phoenix-1 discovery, and also the implications for the prospects at Roc-1 well in WA-437-P (Carnarvon 20 percent) and other prospects in the adjoining acreage. The technical work on this well and the basin wide work will take some time to evaluate to discover the full potential in this new oil play fairway.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Apache and Kayne Anderson Create $3.5B Pipeline Company in the Permian (Aug 09)
- BLOG: The Good Deeds of Oil, Gas (Aug 09)
- Kinder Morgan, EagleClaw and Apache Team Up for $2B Permian Pipeline (Jun 26)
Company: Carnarvon Petroleum Limited more info
- Australia's Quadrant, Carnarvon Hail 'Incredible' Oil Find in Sector Ripe f (Aug 08)
- Carnarvon Adds WA-524-P Permit on Western Australia's NWS to Portfolio (Sep 20)
- Carnarvon Says Positive Signals Emerges from Roc-2 Well Drilling Off WA (Sep 19)
Company: Finder Exploration Pty Ltd more info
- Finder Sells Entire Acreage Holding Off WA to Quadrant Energy Australia (May 03)
- Planning Underway to Drill Roc-2 Appraisal Well Off WA in 2H 2016 (Mar 17)
- Carnarvon Confirms Condensate Rich Gas Find at Roc-1 Well in Block WA-437-P (Jan 18)
Company: JX Nippon Oil & Gas Exploration more info
- Pertamina Invites Socar, JX Nippon To Partner On Balikpapan Upgrade (Aug 01)
- ExxonMobil Reports Papua New Guinea Discovery (Jan 16)
- Japan's JX To Sell North Sea Oil Field Stake To Faroe Petroleum (Jul 28)