Reach Energy Whets Investor Appetite for Malaysian SPACs
KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 15 (Reuters) - Reach Energy Bhd, set up by veterans in Malaysia's oil and gas industry, made its market debut in Kuala Lumpur on Friday after completing the country's largest-ever initial public offering by a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC).
The 750 million ringgit ($236.44 million) IPO exceeded the initial share sales by other local SPACs such as Sona Petroleum Bhd and Cliq Energy Bhd, which raised between $100 million and $150 million last year.
Reach Energy, which has no existing assets, is looking to acquire firms in both the exploration and production segments of Asia's oil and gas sector, following in the footsteps of Hibiscus Petroleum, Sona Petroleum and Cliq Energy.
SPACs, common in the West but still rare in Asia, attract investors who hope a team of experienced industry executives can translate seed money into profits down the road. They are also drawn to bonus giveaways such as warrants attached to shares bought during IPOs.
But there are risks unique to SPACs.
In the United States, half of the SPACs launched in the past decade have failed to complete an actual acquisition and posted negative annual returns, according to data from research firm SPAC Analytics.
Malaysia late last year tightened rules on SPACs to assure investors their money will be secure in the months or years that such shell companies might take to find an income-generating asset.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Polo Resources to Acquire 8.4% Stake in Malaysia's Hibiscus Petroleum (Dec 03)
- Vic/P57 JV Confirms Sea Lion-1 Prospect Offshore Australia as a Dry Well (Nov 11)
- Hibiscus Petroleum Plans to Acquire Hydra Energy to Grow Oil Resource Base (Nov 11)
Company: Sona Petroleum Bhd more info
- Santos, Quadrant Terminate Sale of Stag Oilfield Off WA to Malaysia's Sona (Jun 03)
- Shareholders Reject Sona Petroleum's Acquisition of WA's Stag Oilfied (Apr 27)
- Sona Gets More Time to Meet Conditions for Australia's Stag Oilfield Deal (Apr 01)
Company: Reach Energy Bhd more info
- Reach Energy Secures SCM's Approval to Buy Stake in Kazakh O&G Firm (Aug 26)
- Malaysia's Reach Energy Moves Nearer to its First Upstream Asset Purchase (Jul 20)
- Malaysia's Reach Energy Closes in on Acquisition of Kazakh Onshore Block (Jul 05)