3D Seismic Survey Begins at Spanish Point South
Irish explorer Providence Resources announced Thursday that 3D seismic survey operations have begun on Frontier Exploration Licence 1/14 (FEL 1/14), containing Spanish Point South, in the northern Porcupine Basin, offshore west of Ireland.
The seismic survey will cover a 280-square mile area some 85 miles from the west coast of Ireland and will take place in water depths ranging from 985 feet to 2,130 feet. The survey, which is designed to target the Upper Jurassic and Lower Cretaceous reservoir intervals that successfully tested gas condensate and oil from the Spanish Point and Burren discoveries, will be undertaken by Dolphin Geophysical's M/V Sanco Sword vessel.
Spanish Point South is operated by Cairn Energy subsidiary Capricorn Ireland, which has a working interest of 38 percent. Providence holds a 32-percent stake, while Chrysaor E&P Ireland Limited and Sosina Exploration hold 26-percent and four-percent interests respectively.
Providence Technical Director John O'Sullivan commented in a company statement:
"This new 3D seismic survey over the Spanish Point South area is our third such program in this part of the basin since 2009. When combined, these new data will allow for a comprehensive re-evaluation of the total hydrocarbon resource potential of this area, where previous wells have successfully tested both oil and gas.
"We believe that the key risk is reservoir quality, rather than hydrocarbon presence, and so we consider that modern high quality 3D seismic imaging will be a significant tool in reservoir prediction."
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- India Plans Larger Oil Auctions as Modi Pursues Import Cuts (Sep 14)
- Cairn Energy: SNE-5 Appraisal Well Hits Oil, Gas (Mar 07)
- AkerBP, Cairn Energy Make Jefferies Top Pick List (Jan 09)
Company: Providence Resources PLC more info
- Providence Expects to Drill Druid Prospect in Summer 2017 (Sep 15)
- Newgrange Prospect Could Hold 13.6 Tcf of Gas (Jul 12)
- Providence Offered LO 16/27 Offshore Ireland (Jun 23)
Company: Sosina Exploration more info
- 3D Seismic Survey Begins at Spanish Point South (Aug 14)
- Seismic Program About to Start Offshore SW Ireland (Aug 07)
- Seismic Survey over Ireland's Drombeg Prospect Begins (Jun 30)