Origin Completes Acquisition of 2 Permits in WA's Browse Basin from Karoon
Origin Energy Limited (Origin) announced Tuesday it had completed the acquisition of Karoon Gas's (Karoon) 40 percent interest in two offshore exploration permits (WA- 315-P and WA-398-P) in Western Australia's Browse Basin.
Under the terms of the transaction, Origin has paid Karoon a $600 million cash consideration with additional payments of $75 million payable upon a project Final Investment Decision (FID) and $75 million payable on first production. A further payment of up to $50 million will be payable on first production if 2P reserves at the time of FID reach certain thresholds.
Origin's acquisition of the permits, which contain large and prospective offshore gas fields such as the Poseidon discovery, allows the company to establish a strategic position in one of Australia's largest recent offshore gas discoveries.
The acquisition complements Origin's recent farm-ins in the Cooper and Beetaloo basins and the awarding of new exploration acreage to the company in the Bonaparte Basin.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Energy Titans Get Schooled in Sharing as Billions Seen Blown (May 09)
- Australia's Origin Energy Doubles Stake In Beetaloo Shale Gas Field (May 05)
Company: Karoon Gas Australia Ltd. more info
- Karoon Buys PEPC's 35% Stake in 4 Santos Basin Blocks in Brazil for $20.5M (Sep 28)
- PEPC Makes Overdue Payment to Karoon for Brazil's Santos Basin Blocks (Jun 16)
- Karoon Issues Default Notice to Santos Basin Block Partner PEPC (Jun 15)