Sources: Murphy Oil's Malaysia Assets Draw Interest From Mitsubishi, ONGC
July 17 (Reuters) - Top Japanese trading house Mitsubishi Corp has submitted a non-binding bid to buy Murphy Oil Corp's Malaysian oil and gas assets valued at about $2.5 billion, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters.
India's state-owned Oil & Natural Gas Corp and Oil India Ltd are among the other suitors preparing to submit bids for the Murphy assets, separate sources with direct knowledge of the process said.
ONGC and Oil India would "most likely" submit a joint bid for the assets, one of the sources directly involved in the process said, something they have done in the past for overseas energy assets.
A final decision on the Indian firms' bid will be made by the government, another person familiar with the process said.
The Indian companies are likely to submit preliminary bids for the Murphy stake by the end of this month after getting mandatory internal approvals, said the sources, who declined to be identified as the process is not public.
"We want energy security. The focus of energy security should be to get the resources to India if need be. It should not be for investment's sake only," a senior Indian government official told Reuters.
Arkansas-based Murphy, which has interests in oil and gas fields in Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Brunei and Australia, has invited bids for a 30 percent stake in its Malaysian assets, Reuters previously reported.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Subsea Contract Features Made-in-India Element (Oct 03)
- India Tells State Oil Firm ONGC to List Overseas Unit (Aug 21)
- ONGC, Reliance in Talks with Customers to Sell East Coast Gas (Apr 10)
Company: Murphy Oil Corporation more info
- Murphy Oil and Petrobras to Form Gulf of Mexico JV (Oct 11)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Murphy Oil CEO: Now is the Time for Deepwater to Come Back (May 02)
Company: Mitsubishi more info
- Japan Mitsubishi Corp To Acquire 25% Stake In Bangladesh LNG Terminal (Aug 17)
- Mitsubishi Heavy Bets on New US Turbomachinery Demand (Feb 17)
- Shell-Led Group Delays Decision On Canada Gas Export Plan (Jul 12)