Way Clear for Origin Energy to Acquire Karoon's Stakes in 2 Permits Off WA
Karoon Gas Australia Ltd. disclosed Tuesday the pre-emption rights associated with the sale of the Company’s interest in the Browse Basin permits WA-315-P and WA-398-P offshore Western Australia to Origin Energy (Origin) have now expired.
This clears the way for Origin’s purchase of the permits from Karoon.
The current joint venture partners (ConocoPhillips, PetroChina and Karoon), and Origin will now complete transfer documentation, which is subject to regulatory approval.
The sale is expected to complete during the third Quarter 2014.
Under the terms of the Sale and Purchase Agreement (SPA) with Origin, the consideration payable to Karoon is structured as follows:
- An upfront cash payment of $600 million payable upon Completion
- A deferred cash payment of $75 million payable on Final Investment Decision (FID)
- A deferred cash payment of $75 million payable on First Production; and
- A deferred resource cash payment of up to $50 million payable on First Production Origin will pay $5 million for every 100 billion cubic feet equivalent (Bcfe) of Independently Certified 2P reserves exceeding 3.25 trillion cubic feet equivalent (Tcfe) across the permits at the time of FID up to a maximum of $50 million
- In addition, Origin will be responsible for all costs associated with the current Pharos-1 exploration well, located in permit WA-398-P
In addition, following the agreement of key terms (as previously announced) for a $100 million Bridge Facility between Karoon and National Australia Bank, Karoon is pleased to advise that the Bridge Facility Agreement is now signed.
The $100 million funding under the Bridge Facility ensures Karoon will have sufficient capital at hand to continue its ongoing work program during the period up to completion of the Origin SPA.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Energy Titans Get Schooled in Sharing as Billions Seen Blown (May 09)
- Australia's Origin Energy Doubles Stake In Beetaloo Shale Gas Field (May 05)
Company: Karoon Gas Australia Ltd. more info
- Karoon Buys PEPC's 35% Stake in 4 Santos Basin Blocks in Brazil for $20.5M (Sep 28)
- PEPC Makes Overdue Payment to Karoon for Brazil's Santos Basin Blocks (Jun 16)
- Karoon Issues Default Notice to Santos Basin Block Partner PEPC (Jun 15)