Carnarvon Provides Drilling Update at Phoenix South-1 Well Offshore WA
Carnarvon Petroleum Limited (Carnarvon, or the Company) reported Friday that the drilling of the intermediate hole section at the Phoenix South-1 well in permit WA-435-P on the North West Shelf off Western Australia was completed on schedule and is currently setting casing before drilling the final hole section.
As at 06:00 hours this morning, the well had drilled to 12,158 feet (3,706 meters) measured depth (MD) and was in the process of setting 9.625 inch casing in preparation to drill ahead in 8.5 inch hole size.
The primary target for the Phoenix South-1 well is the inter-bedded sandstones, siltstones and claystones of the Middle Triassic Lower Karaudren Formation and Early to Middle Triassic Locker Shale.
These sands are expected to be intersected while drilling the final hole section.
The Operator is expected to take around four days to run and set the 9.625 inch casing and then a further three weeks to complete drilling.
Following the completion of drilling and in the event of hydrocarbons being intersected, extensive wireline logging and both pressure and fluid sampling are planned. These operations will continue for a further week.
At the completion of the wireline logging program, the Joint Venture intends to plug and abandon the well in accordance with normal good oilfield practice as outlined previously by the Company, including in the CEO Newsletter available on the Carnarvon web site.
The Company’s next scheduled announcement will occur after the final hole section has been completed, anticipated to be in approximately four weeks’ time.
Apache Energy and JX Nippon are earning a 40 percent and 20 percent interest in the permit respectively through the drilling of the well down to 14,763 feet (4,500 meters), after which time the equity interest holders will be:
- Carnarvon Petroleum - 20 percent
- Apache Energy (Operator) - 40 percent
- JX Nippon - 20 percent
- Finder Exploration - 20 percent
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Apache and Kayne Anderson Create $3.5B Pipeline Company in the Permian (Aug 09)
- BLOG: The Good Deeds of Oil, Gas (Aug 09)
- Kinder Morgan, EagleClaw and Apache Team Up for $2B Permian Pipeline (Jun 26)
Company: Carnarvon Petroleum Limited more info
- Australia's Quadrant, Carnarvon Hail 'Incredible' Oil Find in Sector Ripe f (Aug 08)
- Carnarvon Adds WA-524-P Permit on Western Australia's NWS to Portfolio (Sep 20)
- Carnarvon Says Positive Signals Emerges from Roc-2 Well Drilling Off WA (Sep 19)