Kea Completes Puka-2 Workover in PEP 51153 in New Zealand
Kea Petroleum plc, the oil and gas company focused on New Zealand, disclosed Wednesday the completion of the Puka-2 workover component of Phase 1 of the farm-out agreement for petroleum exploration permit (PEP) 51153 with MEO New Zealand Pty Limited (MEO).
Phase 1 is intended to boost existing production and assist future field appraisal. It includes the workover of Puka-2 and the drilling of a new well, Puka-3, from the existing pad. The total $4.31 million (NZD 5 million) funding for Phase 1 has been received from both parties.
The workover operations at the Puka-2 well, in PEP 51153, commenced Wednesday June 2. The downhole pump and rods were removed and inspected. Very fine sand was observed in the pump mechanism, and this is believed to have contributed to the pump failure announced Feb. 11.
The replacement pump has been installed with a change to the downhole configuration. The Joint Venture Operating Committee believes the new configuration is better suited to the reservoir characteristics.
The well is now back in production following the completion of the workover operations.
Ian Brown, managing director of Kea’s operating subsidiaries in New Zealand, said: “We are very pleased to have safely completed the first operations under the agreement with MEO on time and on budget.”
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- MEO Australia Seeks Shareholder Approval to Rename Firm as Melbana Energy (Sep 28)
- MEO Australia: 4 Companies Interested in Beehive Farm-Out Deal (Sep 12)
- MEO Australia Provides Update on Projects in Australia, NZ & Cuba (Aug 15)
Company: Kea Petroleum plc more info
- TAG Oil Gets Approval to Take 70% Operating Stake in NZ's PEP51153 (Jun 06)
- MEO Withdraws Application to Assume Operatorship of NZ Permit PEP51153 (Feb 25)
- MEO to Takes Over as Operator of NZ's Exploration Permit PEP51153 (Jan 19)