Norway's Oil Service Workers Begin Wage Talks
OSLO, May 13 (Reuters) - Norwegian oil service workers begun three days of wage talks on Tuesday, demanding a new collective agreement and higher pay, days after two unions representing platform workers broke off negotiations, raising the prospect of a strike.
Oil service employees, working for firms such as Schlumberger, Halliburton, Aker Solutions , and Baker Hughes, now have until the end of Thursday to reach a deal, otherwise talks would go to a government mediator before possible labour action.
Platform workers staged a 16-day strike two years ago, cutting oil production by 13 percent before the government intervened to impose a deal and end the strike. But service workers at the time struck an agreement and did not stop work.
Oil firms have sharply reduced spending plans this year, arguing that the sector has lost much of its competitiveness due to a decade worth of rapid wage growth and unions now needed to exercise self restraint.
"If the sides can not reach agreement through negotiation, the dispute goes to mediation with the risk of strikes at the companies involved," labour union Indusri Energi, which represents 6,700 workers, said.
The sides did not release specific demands but said talks would involve wages, overtime and various other supplements.
Industri Energi, the biggest of the energy unions, reached a wage deal for platform workers last week but the smaller SAFE and Lederne unions held out, demanding better pensions.
Mediation in those talks has not yet been scheduled but would likely take place in late May or early June, union officials said.
(Reporting by Balazs Koranyi, editing by William Hardy)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Halliburton Envisions Robo-Fracking (Aug 21)
- Hundreds Line Up for Gushing West Texas Oil Jobs (Aug 03)
- Oil, Gas Companies Focus on Recruitment, Retention in the Permian (Jul 24)
Company: Baker Hughes more info
- Baker Hughes: US Drillers Add Oil Rigs For Second Week In Three (Sep 14)
- Baker Hughes: US Oil Drillers Cut Rigs For Second Week In Three (Sep 07)
- Baker Hughes: US Drillers Add Oil Rigs For The First Time In Three Weeks (Aug 31)
Company: Schlumberger more info
- It Takes an Army: Women in Oil, Gas Encouraged to Mentor Others in Industry (Sep 05)
- Schlumberger CEO Warns Transport Constraints To Slow Shale Gains (Sep 04)
- Schlumberger Appoints Shale Innovator Mark Papa to Board (Aug 06)
Company: Aker Solutions more info
- More Layoffs on the Way for Aker Solutions (Aug 23)
- Aker Solutions Opens Upgraded Aberdeen Site (Apr 27)
- Aker BP Buys Hess' Norway Unit For $2B (Oct 24)