Norway's Oil Service Workers Begin Wage Talks
OSLO, May 13 (Reuters) - Norwegian oil service workers begun three days of wage talks on Tuesday, demanding a new collective agreement and higher pay, days after two unions representing platform workers broke off negotiations, raising the prospect of a strike.
Oil service employees, working for firms such as Schlumberger, Halliburton, Aker Solutions , and Baker Hughes, now have until the end of Thursday to reach a deal, otherwise talks would go to a government mediator before possible labour action.
Platform workers staged a 16-day strike two years ago, cutting oil production by 13 percent before the government intervened to impose a deal and end the strike. But service workers at the time struck an agreement and did not stop work.
Oil firms have sharply reduced spending plans this year, arguing that the sector has lost much of its competitiveness due to a decade worth of rapid wage growth and unions now needed to exercise self restraint.
"If the sides can not reach agreement through negotiation, the dispute goes to mediation with the risk of strikes at the companies involved," labour union Indusri Energi, which represents 6,700 workers, said.
The sides did not release specific demands but said talks would involve wages, overtime and various other supplements.
Industri Energi, the biggest of the energy unions, reached a wage deal for platform workers last week but the smaller SAFE and Lederne unions held out, demanding better pensions.
Mediation in those talks has not yet been scheduled but would likely take place in late May or early June, union officials said.
(Reporting by Balazs Koranyi, editing by William Hardy)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Halliburton Names New Western Hemisphere President (Jan 15)
- Halliburton's Lesar Exits After 25 Years (Jan 03)
- Halliburton Gets Second CFO in 17 Months (Nov 13)
Company: Baker Hughes more info
- US Drops 25 Oil and Gas Rigs This Week (Jan 18)
- US Drops Four Oil Rigs This Week (Jan 11)
- US Drops Eight Oil Rigs This Week (Jan 04)
Company: Schlumberger more info
- Offshore Australia Project Marks Step-Change (Jan 16)
- States Look to Block Seismic Surveys in Atlantic (Dec 20)
- ExxonMobil and BHP Greenlight Offshore Australia Project (Dec 13)
Company: Aker Solutions more info
- More Layoffs on the Way for Aker Solutions (Aug 23)
- Aker Solutions Opens Upgraded Aberdeen Site (Apr 27)
- Aker BP Buys Hess' Norway Unit For $2B (Oct 24)