Drilling Results of Spitfire Oil Field in SA Exceeds Senex's Expectations
Senex Energy Limited announced Wednesday that successful appraisal and development drilling has extended Spitfire oil field in PEL 104 (Senex 60% and operator) in South Australia.
Results from recent drilling have shown that the Birkhead reservoir has a higher top of sand location, lower oil-water contact and greater lateral extent than previously identified. In addition, the quality of the Birkhead Formation sand in Spitfire-4 and Spitfire-6 is better than previously observed. The Spitfire oil field is a combination stratigraphic/structural trap that is defined by sands within the Birkhead Formation and a structural high that is currently interpreted in the vicinity of Spitfire-4.
The results of appraisal and development drilling at Spitfire is summarized below:
- Well details: Type - Appraisal; Total depth - 5,931 feet (1,808 meters); Location - 1,640 feet (500 meters) north west of Spitfire-2
- Net Pay: 45.2 feet (13.8 meters)
- Results: Intersected more than 65 feet (20 meters) of sand; Highest structural intersection of the Birkhead within the field; 16 feet (5 meters) higher than Spitfire-2; Largest oil column at the field; On production at approximately 700 barrels of oil per day (bopd)
- Well details: Type - Development; Total depth - 5,990 feet (1,826 meters); Location - 1,476 feet (450 meters) north east of Spitfire-2
- Net Pay: 29.2 feet (8.9 meters)
- Results: Encountered high quality sands with porosity and thickness well above the other Spitfire wells drilled to date; Tested at 1,600 bopd; To be placed on Initial Production Test this week
- Well details: Type - Appraisal; Total depth - 6,594 feet (2,010 meters); Location - 2,723 feet (830 meters) north east of Spitfire-2
- Net Pay: 20.01 feet (6.1 meters)
- Results: Intersected sand quality and thickness slightly better than Spitfire-2; Confirmed the northern continuity of the sands; Scheduled to be placed on production in late May
- Well details: Type - Development; Total depth - 6,053 feet (1,845 meters); Location - 1,443 feet (440 meters) north east of Spitfire-2
- Net Pay: 23.62 feet (7.2 meters)
- Results: Marginally poorer sands intersected than at Spitfire-2; Scheduled to be placed on production in June
The four recent Spitfire appraisal and development wells were drilled on the basis of ‘AVO/Inversion’ enhanced seismic interpretation techniques with the reprocessed Mollichuta 3D seismic survey.
The program has confirmed the use of this technique for exploring and developing the Birkhead reservoir. The inversion data has yielded a significant improvement in targeting the most prolific sands and extending the known range of the accumulation outside previously established areas.
Senex will now reprocess part of the adjacent Aquillus 3D seismic survey using the same techniques. This will improve understanding of the western extent of the Spitfire field to enable further exploration and appraisal wells to be identified in the west and to the north.
Results to Date
Four wells have been cased and suspended as future Birkhead producers at Spitfire oil field since January 2014, with initial production testing providing positive results to date.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Senex Wins Australia Gas Field, Aims To Start Producing In 2019 (Sep 05)
- Senex Welcomes South Australian Govt's $18.4M Pledge to Develop Gas Supply (Sep 09)
- Australia's PEL 444 Partners Swap Seismic Data with Senex, Bridgeport (Jun 02)