Statoil Discovers up to 63M Barrels in Barents Sea
Norway's Statoil reported Friday that it has made an oil and gas discovery of up to 63 million barrels of recoverable oil equivalent at the Drivis prospect in the Barents Sea. But its senior vice president for exploration in Norway said that, despite the discovery, the overall campaign in the Johan Castberg area had not delivered in terms of volumes.
Statoil said that Well 7220/7-3S, drilled by the West Hercules (DW semisub) rig, proved a 223-foot gas column in the Stø formation and a 282-foot gross oil column in the Stø and Nordmela formations. The firm estimates the total volumes in Drivis to be in the range of 44 to 63 million barrels of recoverable oil equivalent, of which 42 to 54 million barrels is oil.
The completion of the Drivis well concludes a 12-month, five-well exploration campaign by Statoil in the Johan Castberg area.
Irene Rummelhoff, Statoil's senior vice president for exploration on the Norwegian Continental Shelf, commented in a company statement:
"Over the past year we have made a significant exploration effort in the Johan Castberg area. Five wells have been drilled back-to-back, giving us important subsurface information and a good understanding of the total resource base in the area.
"We are certainly glad to have an oil discovery in Drivis. However, the exploration program as a whole has not delivered on volume expectations. Out of the five wells drilled only two have resulted in oil discoveries."
Statoil now plans to analyze the results of its exploration program as it takes the next steps in developing its Johan Castberg project.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil May Build Onshore Terminal for Castberg Oil -Minister (Jan 16)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- BSEE: Italy's Eni Begins Drilling Oil Well In Alaska's Beaufort Sea (Dec 27)
- Eni 'Mission Impossible' Points to Seismic Shift for Big Oil (Dec 22)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)