China Secures Abu Dhabi Oil Field Deal
DUBAI/BEIJING, April 29 (Reuters) - China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) has secured the rights to produce and export oil from Abu Dhabi, helping China secure more fuel for its rapid economic growth.
State-run CNPC has expanded over the past decade to over 30 countries around the globe to help secure supplies of the oil and gas that China needs to sustain its economic growth.
Under the latest deal granted by the president of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), China's biggest energy company will help develop several onshore and offshore fields in Abu Dhabi and take a share of any oil produced, UAE state news agency WAM said.
"It's a typical concession, meaning you pay the royalty and then you get the JV (joint venture) share of production," a senior source at CNPC told Reuters.
The UAE concession system allows oil companies to acquire equity in hydrocarbon resources, with state-run Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) holding a 60 percent stake in each joint venture and foreign partners usually sharing the other 40 percent.
Under the new joint venture, called the Al Yasat Company for Petroleum Operations, the Chinese energy giant will be the sole foreign partner with 40 percent, and ADNOC will hold the 60 percent controlling stake.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- With CNPC Deal, Cheniere's Train 3 at Corpus Christi Becomes More Likely (Feb 09)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
- CNPC Plans to Cut Gas Supplies to Industrial Users-State Media (Nov 06)
Company: Abu Dhabi National Oil Company more info
- Abu Dhabi Gets Bids for Offshore Oil in Plan to Expand Capacity (Jan 22)
- UAE's ADNOC Proposes Change To Oil Price Mechanism (Dec 11)
- Nikkei: ADNOC To Decide On Japan Oil Concession Renewal By Early Next Year (Jul 28)