Total Discovers Oil Offshore Ivory Coast
France's Total reported Thursday that its Saphir-1XB exploration well on Block CI-514, offshore Ivory Coast, has encountered hydrocarbons.
Lying in 7,550 feet of water, Saphir-1XB is the first well drilled in the block. Drilled to a depth of 15,270 feet it found approximately 130 feet of net pay that contains light (34-degree API) oil in a series of 1,150 feet of reservoirs.
Total said the data acquired during drilling are being analyzed and will be used to determine the area's potential as well as the design of the delineation program. The firm also has plans to drill two wells in blocks CI-515 and CI-516 by the end of this year.
Marc Blaizot, Total's Senior Vice President for Exploration, commented in a company statement:
"Drilled in an abrupt margin play, this first well is the first discovery in the San Pedro Basin, a frontier exploration area in Ivory Coast. Having confirmed the presence of a petroleum system containing light oil, we will next evaluate this very promising find and focus on its extension to the north and east."
Total E&P Côte d’Ivoire operates Block CI-514 with a 54-percent interest. CNR International and PETROCI Holding hold 36 percent and 10 percent respectively.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Saudi Aramco and Total JV to Hire SMBC to Advise on Funding (Jan 17)
- Deepwater Nigeria Field Starts Production (Jan 02)
- Total Spuds Well Offshore South Africa (Dec 27)
Company: CNR International more info
- Petrofac Secures $400M of Repeat UK Orders (Jun 19)
- Total Discovers Oil Offshore Ivory Coast (Apr 17)
- Total, Anadarko, CNR To Spend Up To $300M On Ivory Coast Blocks (Nov 06)
Company: Societe Nationale d’Operations Petrolieres de la Cote d’Ivoire (PETROCI) more info
- Statement: Workers at Ivory Coast's Petroci Go On Strike (Jun 29)
- Singapore-listed Rex International Holding Ups Stake in Oman's Masirah Oil (Mar 17)
- Cote d'Ivoire Approves Ophir's Acquisition of 45% Stake in Block CI-513 (Mar 11)