Shell Finds Gas at Rosmari-1 Well in SK318 Offshore Malaysia
Royal Dutch Shell plc announced Thursday that the company has made a gas discovery at the deepwater Rosmari-1 exploration well in Block SK318, offshore Sarawak, Malaysia.
The Rosmari-1 well, located 84 miles (135 kilometers) offshore and drilled to a total depth of 6,965 feet (2,123 meters), encountered more than 1,476 feet (450 meters) of gas column. More exploration drilling is planned, with the discovery a positive indicator of the gas potential in an area of strategic interest for Shell.
“Rosmari-1 is a testament to our ability to successfully drill and build understanding of new geology within our existing exploration heartlands, adding value to our existing assets in Malaysia ... We are expanding and rejuvenating heartlands across our exploration portfolio, including in Brunei, Australia and the Gulf of Mexico,” Andy Brown, director Shell Upstream International said in a press release.
“This adds to Shell’s sequence of recent exploration successes in Malaysia, with these discoveries expanding the company’s heartlands positions,” Iain Lo, chairman Shell Malaysia added.
Shell operates Block SK318 with an 85 percent interest, with Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd - the upstream subsidiary of Malaysia's national oil company Petroliam Nasional Berhad - holding the remainder 15 percent.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
- Canada Crude Differential Seen Staying High As Refiners Take Downtime (Aug 03)
Company: PETRONAS more info
- Petronas-Saudi RAPID Refinery To Receive First Oil Cargo By End-Sept (Sep 13)
- Petronas Eyes South Sudan Oil Blocks (Sep 11)
- Sources: Aramco Plans To Ship First Crude Oil To Malaysia JV Refinery (Sep 04)