Maersk Valiant Drillships Heads to GOM After Delivery from SHI's Shipyard
Maersk Drilling announced Wednesday that the company's Maersk Valiant (UDW drillship) was delivered April 16 from the Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) shipyard in Geoje-Si, South-Korea. Maersk Valiant has begun its voyage towards the US Gulf of Mexico via Singapore to commence a two year contract with ConocoPhillips and Marathon Oil Corporation.
Maersk Valiant is the second in a series of four ultra deepwater drillships to enter Maersk Drilling’s fleet. The four drillships represent a total investment of $2.6 billion and will be delivered from the SHI shipyard in 2014.
Maersk Drilling has been active in the US Gulf of Mexico since 2009 with the ultra deepwater semisubmersible Maersk Developer (UDW semisub). With Maersk Viking (UDW drillship) and Maersk Valiant entering the US Gulf of Mexico, Maersk Drilling is becoming a significant drilling contractor in the US Gulf of Mexico, which together with West Africa, are the target regions for Maersk Drilling’s deepwater activities. The estimated contract value with ConocoPhillips and Marathon Oil Corporation for Maersk Valiant is $694 million including mobilization, but excluding cost escalation.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 5 Offshore Rigs
Manages 23 Offshore Rigs
- Maersk to Limit Investment in Energy Businesses until Separation (Dec 13)
- Maersk Oil Begins Culzean Drilling Campaign (Sep 29)
- Maersk Highlander Ready for Action (Aug 19)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)
Company: Marathon Oil Corp. more info
- Texas' Austin Chalk Booms While Shale Plays Remain Mostly Dormant (Dec 07)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
- Marathon Oil Cuts Capital Budget After Posting Quarterly Loss (Aug 02)