Shell Exports 1st Oil from Majnoon Field in Iraq
Royal Dutch Shell reported late Monday that it has exported its first oil from the Majnoon oilfield in southern Iraq to its Shell Trading operation.
Shell said the achievement comes as production at the Majnoon field reached an average of 210,000 barrels of oil per day – significantly above its 175,000 bopd first commercial production target.
"This is a historic event for Iraq's energy industry. The lifting of Shell's first oil shipment from Majnoon has great significance to us and our partners in the Government as it is a testimony to our shared progress and signals the start of Majnoon's long-term journey toward generating further revenue for Iraq’s economy, and as an investment in Iraq’s future," Hans Nijkamp, Vice President and Chairman of Shell in Iraq, said in a company statement.
Shell and its partners (South Oil Company, Petronas and Missan Oil) recommenced production from Majnoon in September 2013 following the completion of major overhaul works. 18 new wells have been drilled on the field, while the project has created more than 2,850 jobs for local Iraqis.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: PETRONAS more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- After Europe's Gas Market Disasters, LNG May Come to the Rescue (Dec 12)
- Petronas Unit Agrees Share Swap With Shell's Africa Operator (Dec 05)
- Malaysia's Petronas Asked To Exit Myanmar In Protest Of Rohingya Crisis (Nov 08)
Company: South Oil Co. more info
- Officials: Occidental to Sell Zubair Stake to Iraq's South Oil (Nov 11)
- Shell Exports 1st Oil from Majnoon Field in Iraq (Apr 08)
- Eni, Iraq Amend Zubair Oil Target (Jul 15)