WHL Energy Updates on Seismic Survey for La Bella in VIC/P67 in Otway Basin
Australian energy company WHL Energy Limited (WHL Energy or the Company) provided Tuesday an update on the interpretation of data obtained from the La Bella 3D seismic survey acquired in the Otway Basin permit VIC/P67 (WHL 40 percent and AWE 60 percent), offshore Victoria, Australia in late 2013.
While further state-of-the-art and more detailed interpretation studies still need to be completed, initial results are encouraging, with highlights including:
- Preliminary evaluation of an initial Fast Track Volume (FTV) in the near La Bella area confirms the La Bella gas/condensate field and adjacent exploration prospects to generally be as previously interpreted
- Stacked amplitude anomalies high-grade the previously identified Ferrier and Mylius features, and
- Preliminary mapping corroborates other previously mapped prospects, although additional work remains to be done
In addition to the initial FTV, a further Intermediate Volume (IV) has been generated and received by WHL Energy. The data quality from the IV, which is an interim Pre-Stack Time Migration processed sub-volume (PreSTM), is a significant improvement over the previous version, and provides confidence that a high quality seismic data set will be delivered with full broadband PreSTM processing. This fully processed PreSTM volume package is on target to be delivered in late July.
Interpretation of IV is ongoing and a range of additional geophysical, geological and reservoir engineering studies are also in progress as these will allow for a more accurate and reliable evaluation of La Bella Field and the nearby prospects. The initial phases of well planning have also now commenced.
WHL Energy Managing Director, David Rowbottam, said: “The Company is encouraged by the preliminary results and looks forward to providing a further update on the assessment of La Bella and the near field prospects in May.”
WHL Energy was Operator for the 334 square miles (867 square kilometers) La Bella 3D survey that was successfully completed within budget in mid-December 2013. The seismic data was acquired by CGG’s state-of-the-art vessel “CGG Viking II” utilizing CGG's broadband seismic surveying technology.
On Sept. 3, 2013, WHL Energy executed a binding farm-out agreement with AWE Limited (AWE). Under the terms of the farm-out agreement, AWE is earning a 60 percent participating interest in VIC/P67 by funding 75 percent of the cost of the La Bella 3D seismic survey up to a cost cap of $9.0 million. AWE has the right following the 3D seismic phase to take over operatorship of VIC/P67 and continue at the 60 percent participating interest or to assign part or all of its equity back to WHL Energy.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Waitsia Gas Project Exceeds Pre-Production Expectations (Dec 22)
- Waitsia JV Approves 2017 Development Activities Budget (Dec 09)
- AWE Commences Gas Sales from Stage 1 of Waitsia Gas Project in Perth Basin (Aug 29)
Company: WHL Energy Limited more info
- Ophir Energy Exits Three Blocks Offshore Seychelles (Jan 18)
- WHL Energy Receives Approval to Vary Work Program (Aug 19)
- WHL Inks Agreement With Energy Capital Partners to Recapitalize Firm (Jun 03)