Petronas Launches Hull of its PFLNG 1 Facility at DSME's Okpo Shipyard
Malaysia's Petroliam Nasional Berhad (Petronas) reported Monday that it has launched the hull of its first floating liquefied natural gas (PFLNG 1) facility at the Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering (DSME) shipyard in Okpo, South Korea.
The facility, targeted for completion in the fourth quarter of 2015, will be the world’s first floating LNG facility in operation. The launch took place April 5, with the 1,197-foot (365-meter)-long hull floated out at a dock and launched to anchor at a quayside of DSME shipyard where the facility is being constructed.
"This phase marks another milestone in the development of the facility and signifies the near-completion of hull construction works, less than 10 months since the cutting of the first steel in June 2013," Petronas said in a company release.
“It is an impressive achievement that we launch the hull within a short time frame following the keel laying process that began Jan. 6 ... Petronas is currently working closely with its strategic partners, Technip and Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering to ensure that the project is delivered safely, in accordance to project specification and quality, within cost and on schedule,” Petronas' Vice-President and Venture Director of LNG Projects (Domestic), Gas & Power Business Abdullah Karim said in the press statement.
The PFLNG1 vessel, also known as PFLNG SATU, will be moored in Kanowit gas field, 111 miles (180 kilometers) offshore Sarawak, Malaysia and will produce 1.2 million tons of LNG per year.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Petronas-Saudi RAPID Refinery To Receive First Oil Cargo By End-Sept (Sep 13)
- Petronas Eyes South Sudan Oil Blocks (Sep 11)
- Sources: Aramco Plans To Ship First Crude Oil To Malaysia JV Refinery (Sep 04)
Company: TechnipFMC plc more info
- Technip Wins Contract for Louisiana LNG Proposal (Oct 15)
- TechnipFMC to Build Pioneering Vietnam Project (Aug 28)
- Sasol Plans More Hiring for Louisiana Project (Oct 12)
Company: DSME more info
- Seadrill Defers Delivery of Drillships from DSME (Jan 15)
- DSME Files Complaint with LMAA Over Songa Offshore's Newbuild Semisubs (Jul 31)
- DNV Launches JIP with South Korean Yards to Reduce Project Cost by 15% (Jul 23)