AWE Experiences Mechanical Drill String Difficulties at NZ's Pateke-4H Well
AWE Limited disclosed Tuesday that as at 06:00 hours (6.00am NZDT) today, the Pateke-4H development well in petroleum mining permit (PMP) 38158 off New Zealand had been drilled to a total measured depth of 13,484 feet (4,110 meters). Following the penetration last week of the Kupuni F sand, where oil shows and real time logging measurements indicated the likely presence of an oil bearing reservoir, removal of the 12.25 inch drilling assembly has experienced mechanical drill string difficulties which are currently being addressed.
If remedial actions are unsuccessful, a short section of the well may need to be redrilled as a sidetrack operation. The development program then allows for the installation of the 9.625 inch casing, after which drilling will continue in the new hole, through the reservoir section, to a projected total measured depth of 17,588 feet (5,361 meters).
The Pateke-4H development well is in PMP 38158 and AWE is the Operator. Located in the offshore Taranaki Basin, New Zealand, PMP 38158 contains the Tui, Amokura and Pateke fields and has been producing since 2007.
Pateke-4H is targeting a mapped northern extension of the currently producing Pateke field. The well is being drilled in water depth of approximately 406 feet (124 meters) with a planned total measured depth of 17,588 feet (5,361 meters), including a 4,173 feet (1,272 meters) horizontal section. If successful, the well will be completed for subsequent tie-back to the Tui FPSO (Umuroa) for production in 2015.
The Joint Venture partners in PMP 38158 are:
- AWE Limited (via subsidiaries) (Operator): 57.5 percent
- New Zealand Oil & Gas (via subsidiaries): 27.5 percent
- Pan Pacific Petroleum (via subsidiaries): 15.0 percent
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
- JV Partners Withdraw from Vietnam's Offshore Block 121 (Sep 30)
- Australia's PPP CEO Tom Prudence Steps Down, Firm Not Seeking Replacement (Aug 25)
- Timor-Leste Issues Termination Notice for PSC JPDA 06-103 (Jul 16)
Company: Australian Worldwide Exploration (AWE) more info
- Waitsia Gas Project Exceeds Pre-Production Expectations (Dec 22)
- Waitsia JV Approves 2017 Development Activities Budget (Dec 09)
- AWE Commences Gas Sales from Stage 1 of Waitsia Gas Project in Perth Basin (Aug 29)
Company: New Zealand Oil & Gas more info
- NZOG Reports 15.3% Rise in Developed Reserves in Kupe Field Off Taranaki (Apr 21)
- Genesis Energy Upgrades O&G Reserves at Kupe Field Offshore Taranaki (Dec 09)
- NZOG Reports Full Year Net Loss of $4M, Eyes Under-Valued Assets (Aug 27)