Murphy's Potential Sale of Upstream Assets in Malaysia Attracts Local Firms
Murphy Oil Corp. may divest as much as 30 percent interest in its upstream oil and gas assets in Malaysia for $2 billion to $3 billion (MYR 6.62 bilion to MYR 9.93 billion), according to industry sources quoted in local daily The Star Friday.
The proposed sale has generated interests from Malaysian companies, including SapuraKencana Petroleum Bhd, Hibsicus Petroleum Bhd, Sona Petroleum Bhd and CLIQ Energy Bhd, as well as Southeast Asia-focused Coastal Energy Co., which is owned by Condor Acquisition (Cayman) Ltd., a banker told The Star.
Condor is an entity controlled by Spain's CEPSA and in which Strategic Resources (Global) Ltd. - a vehicle of Malaysian businessman Larry Low Hock Peng - is an investor.
Murphy commenced operations in Malaysia in 1999 and its upstream assets in the country accounted for over 45 percent, or about 89,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day (MMboepd), of the firm's total net production in 2012.
The company has majority interests in five separate production sharing contracts (PSCs) in Malaysia: Block K, Block H, SK 309, SK 311 and SK 314A. Murphy also has three gas holding agreements in PM 311. Murphy has booked total proved reserves of 95.7 million barrels of oil and 357.6 billion cubic feet in Malaysia, data from the firm's website indicated.
Murphy's plan to trim its stakes in Malaysian upstream assets comes soon after SapuraKencana completed its acquisition of Newfield Exploration Company's upstream assets in the country earlier this month for $895.9 million.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Encana to Acquire Newfield for $5.5 Billion (Nov 01)
- Big Shale Turns OPEC Ally From Foe With Focus on Oil Returns (Dec 04)
- Shale Drillers Show Few Signs of Slowing as Profits Expand (Aug 02)
Company: Murphy Oil Corporation more info
- Murphy Oil and Petrobras to Form Gulf of Mexico JV (Oct 11)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Murphy Oil CEO: Now is the Time for Deepwater to Come Back (May 02)
Company: SapuraKencana Petroleum Bhd more info
- SapuraKencana: Short-Term Industry Outlook Uncertain (Dec 08)
- Malaysia's SapuraKencana Posts 7.1% Gain in 2Q FY17 PAT to $27M (Sep 29)
- SKTLO Bags $65.3M Contracts for Work Offshore Malaysia, Vietnam (Sep 01)
Company: Hibiscus Petroleum Bhd more info
- Polo Resources to Acquire 8.4% Stake in Malaysia's Hibiscus Petroleum (Dec 03)
- Vic/P57 JV Confirms Sea Lion-1 Prospect Offshore Australia as a Dry Well (Nov 11)
- Hibiscus Petroleum Plans to Acquire Hydra Energy to Grow Oil Resource Base (Nov 11)