Seismic Surveyor TGS-Nopec Profit Beats Forecast
OSLO, Feb 6 (Reuters) – Seismic surveyor TGS-Nopec posted fourth-quarter earnings that beat forecasts on Thursday, in contrast to recent profit warnings from other companies in the sector.
The firm, which maps the seabed to search for oil and gas deposits, offered a dividend of 8.50 Norwegian crowns ($1.36) per share for 2013, in line with expectations, and said it would buy back shares for $30 million this year.
Late last year, rivals Petroleum Geo-Services, CGG and Dolphin warned of lower earnings due to falling demand from oil companies, which are reigning in capital spending to protect margins and dividends.
TGS-Nopec's fourth-quarter operating profit rose to $120 million from $118 million at the same time last year, above the $111 million forecast in a Reuters poll of ten analysts.
"We increased our dividend from 8 to 8.5. That gives us a dividend yield close to 5.5 pct," Chief Financial Officer Kristian Johansen said. "We also introduced a share buyback programme and our intension is to cancel all these shares so that we can return even more to our shareholders."
"Customer interest in new projects is confirmed by our record backlog at the end of Q4," Chief Executive Robert Hobbs said in a statement.
($1 = 6.2428 Norwegian krones)
(Reporting by Gwladys Fouche; Editing by Erica Billingham)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- States Look to Block Seismic Surveys in Atlantic (Dec 20)
- Trump Admin to Advance Seismic Surveys in Atlantic (Nov 30)
- TGS Expects E&P Spend to Dip by up to 10% in 2017 (Oct 28)
Company: PGS more info
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- PGS Raises Funds Through Private Placement (Nov 23)
- PGS: Improving Sentiment in Offshore Seismic Market (Jul 21)
Company: CGG more info
- Offshore Gabon Seismic Extended (Jan 21)
- French Oil Services Firm CGG Files For Bankruptcy (Jun 14)
- CGG Wins DPC Contract in Brunei (Feb 21)
Company: Dolphin Geophysical AS more info
- Polarcus Wins 3D Seismic Survey Deal (Dec 15)
- Seismic Surveyor Dolphin Files for Bankruptcy due to Oil Price Crash (Dec 14)
- Dolphin Accepts LOA to Undertake 3D Seismic Projects Offshore India (Nov 09)