Personnel Evacuates from Rig, Platform after Well Control Loss in GOM
Personnel from a rig and a platform, operating in the Gulf of Mexico, have been evacuated due to the loss of well control, according to the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement.
The Rowan Louisiana (350' ILS) rig is operating in Vermillion Block 356, about 108 miles southwest of Lafayette, and drilling in 256 feet of water. Operator of the block is EnVen Energy Ventures, LLC, an oil and gas exploration and development services company. EnVen is a subsidiary of Palm Energy Partners, LLC.
“The Captioned well has been directionally drilled to an objective on SM 166 from the VR 356 A Platform. Logging while drilling tools indicated the presence of two gas zones at 1340 feet [measured depth] MD and 1,830 feet MD, both of which were anticipated in the well construction plan which was approved,” stated EnVen’s Chief Operating Officer Jonathan Garrett, to Rigzone.
“At 2,217 feet MD, a routine wiper trip was conducted, pulling the drill string back up inside the 13-3/8-inch casing with the bit at 1,140 feet MD (77 feet inside the 13-3/8”). With bit inside casing, a routine circulation was commencing when the well began to flow. As per operational protocol, the well was put on a diverter system allowing the formation fluids to vent overboard while working to get the well killed. The well continues to flow through the diverter system while efforts kill the well continue.”
BSEE added that the adjacent platform was producing oil and gas and was shut-in. The Coast Guard sent an HU-25 Falcon crew from Corpus Christi to assess the scene, and noted that it has not yet received a request for assistance from anyone in the Gulf.
“All nonessential personnel were evacuated from the rig. Thus far, there have been no personnel incidents or accidents and no pollution as the flow is natural gas/water/sand,” Garrett added.
BSEE will investigate the incident, it stated in a press release.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Africa's Natural Resources: Focus for Both Oil and Gas Sectors
- Apprenticeships Gain Momentum in Upstream Oil, Gas Sector
- Senate Energy, Natural Resources Committee to Vote on Keystone XL Pipeline
- Canadian Oil Sands Projects Continue to Vie for Skilled Talent
- East Africa Must Tackle Challenges to Become an Export Hub
- Two Main Forces Have Come Together to Pull Down Commodity Prices
- UK Offshore Energy Calls for Labour Party Meet
- Aker BP's 1.07 Bboe North Sea Projects Get Parliament Nod
- Coal Getting Cheaper in China Despite Heat-Induced Demand Surge
- Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Eyes to Fuel Sea Transport with Ammonia
- Distillate Crack Spreads Return to February 2022 Levels: EIA
- Gas South Inks Plumbing Deal for Its Consumers
- Americas Exploration Heats Up
- Saudi Oil Cut Risks Leaving Bitter Taste for Budget
- Irving Oil Starts Review That Puts Key Refinery on Market
- Saudi to Cut Output by 1MM BPD in Solo OPEC+ Move
- Saudis Remind Global Oil Market Who is King
- Data Science is the Future of Oil and Gas
- Debt Ceiling Deal Becomes Law
- What Do Latest OPEC+ Moves Mean?
- TotalEnergies Inks Agua Marinha PSC in Brazil
- North America Loses More Rigs
- Fatality At North Rankin Complex
- Regulator Fines Hilcorp Alaska in Latest of Over 60 Enforcement Actions
- Par Pacific Completes Buy of ExxonMobil Refinery
- Which Generation Is Most in Demand in Oil, Gas Right Now?
- Who Is the Most Prolific Private Oil and Gas Producer in the USA?
- USA EIA Slashes 2023 and 2024 Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- BMI Reveals Latest Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- Is There a Danger That Oil and Gas Runs out of Financing?
- BMI Projects Gasoline Price Through to 2026
- What Will World Oil Demand Be in 2023?
- North America Rig Count Reduction Rumbles On
- What New Oil and Gas Jobs Will Exist in the Future?
- What Does a 2023 USA Recession Mean for Oil and Gas in the Country?