Japan's Chubu, Mitsui in Energy Tie-ups With India Firms
TOKYO, Jan 24 (Reuters) - Japanese utility Chubu Electric Power Co and trading house Mitsui & Co are set to sign memorandums of understanding with Indian firms to cooperate in the energy sector, industry sources said on Friday.
Chubu aims to sign an agreement with India's GAIL as soon as possible to launch talks on potential joint purchases of liquefied natural gas (LNG) and cooperation in other areas such as shipping, Chubu President Akihisa Mizuno told reporters.
India and Japan are stepping up the pressure for cheaper liquefied natural gas (LNG) with potential joint tenders as two of the world's biggest gas buyers try to ease the pain of high prices and rising demand.
Mitsui plans to agree later on Friday with India's ONGC to expand an existing partnership and to consider joint acquisitions of upstream oil and gas stakes globally, an industry source familiar with the matter said on condition of anonymity.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is set to visit India on Saturday, underlining growing business and political ties between the two nations.
(Reporting by Osamu Tsukimori)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Subsea Contract Features Made-in-India Element (Oct 03)
- India Tells State Oil Firm ONGC to List Overseas Unit (Aug 21)
- ONGC, Reliance in Talks with Customers to Sell East Coast Gas (Apr 10)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui Chemicals Restarts Naphtha Cracker At Fire-Hit Plant (Aug 13)
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
Company: Gas Authority India Ltd. (GAIL) more info
- Diesel Guzzler Indian Railways Turns To Natural Gas To Cut Cost (Aug 30)
- GAIL India's Online Gas Portal To Boost Transparency (Aug 28)
- India Rethinks Decision To Split Up Gas Utility Gail Ltd (Jun 28)
Company: Chubu Electric Power Co. more info
- Chevron Sees Australia's Gorgon Project Train 1 Restarting in 30-60 Days (Apr 06)
- Chevron Ships First Gorgon LNG Cargo to Japan's Chubu Electric Power (Mar 21)
- Japan's Chubu, Mitsui in Energy Tie-ups With India Firms (Jan 24)