Japan's Chubu, Mitsui in Energy Tie-ups With India Firms
TOKYO, Jan 24 (Reuters) - Japanese utility Chubu Electric Power Co and trading house Mitsui & Co are set to sign memorandums of understanding with Indian firms to cooperate in the energy sector, industry sources said on Friday.
Chubu aims to sign an agreement with India's GAIL as soon as possible to launch talks on potential joint purchases of liquefied natural gas (LNG) and cooperation in other areas such as shipping, Chubu President Akihisa Mizuno told reporters.
India and Japan are stepping up the pressure for cheaper liquefied natural gas (LNG) with potential joint tenders as two of the world's biggest gas buyers try to ease the pain of high prices and rising demand.
Mitsui plans to agree later on Friday with India's ONGC to expand an existing partnership and to consider joint acquisitions of upstream oil and gas stakes globally, an industry source familiar with the matter said on condition of anonymity.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is set to visit India on Saturday, underlining growing business and political ties between the two nations.
(Reporting by Osamu Tsukimori)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 38 Offshore Rigs
Manages 8 Offshore Rigs
- Venezuela's PDVSA To Tap Oil Customers To Pay $449MM To ONGC (Nov 15)
- Sources: India ONGC Strikes 'Good' Offshore Oil, Gas Find (Sep 20)
- India To Acquire Seismic Data Of 48,000 Line kms To Boost Oil, Gas Output (Sep 12)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)
Company: Gas Authority India Ltd. (GAIL) more info
- India Seeks to Rework More LNG Contracts Amid Surplus, GAIL Says (Oct 04)
- LNG Price Row Between India, US Crimps Trump's Export Aims (Jun 30)
- India to Use Market Pricing for Part of Future Gas Finds in Complex Fields (Aug 11)
Company: Chubu Electric Power Co. more info
- Chevron Sees Australia's Gorgon Project Train 1 Restarting in 30-60 Days (Apr 06)
- Chevron Ships First Gorgon LNG Cargo to Japan's Chubu Electric Power (Mar 21)
- Japan's Chubu, Mitsui in Energy Tie-ups With India Firms (Jan 24)