Maersk Drilling Names 2 Drillships in a Ceremony at SHI Yard in South Korea
Maersk Drilling announced Thursday that the company’s second and third ultra deepwater drillships were named Thursday morning in a ceremony held at the Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) shipyard in Geoje-Si, South Korea. Lisa Lance, wife of Ryan M. Lance, chairman and CEO, ConocoPhillips, had the honor of naming Maersk Valiant (UDW drillship), and Annell R. Bay, vice president Global Exploration, Marathon Oil Corporation, had the honor of naming Maersk Venturer (UDW drillship).
Maersk Valiant and Maersk Venturer are the second and third in a series of four ultra deepwater drillships to enter Maersk Drilling’s rig fleet. The four drillships represent a total investment of $2.6 billion and will be delivered from the SHI shipyard in 2014.
After delivery from the yard, Maersk Valiant will commence a three year firm contract with ConocoPhillips and Marathon Oil for their respective drilling programs in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. The contract includes options for up to an additional two years. The estimated contract value for the firm contract is $694 million including mobilization, but excluding cost escalation. A contract for Maersk Venturer is yet not signed.
“We have an ambition of growing our business activities in the ultra deepwater market. With Maersk Valiant going to the U.S. Gulf of Mexico to work for ConocoPhillips and Marathon Oil, Maersk Drilling will then operate three rigs in the region, and we are well on our way to becoming a significant drilling contractor in that market since we entered the market in 2009,” says Claus V. Hemmingsen, CEO of Maersk Drilling and member of the Executive Board of the A.P. Moller – Maersk Group.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 5 Offshore Rigs
Manages 23 Offshore Rigs
- Maersk to Limit Investment in Energy Businesses until Separation (Dec 13)
- Maersk Oil Begins Culzean Drilling Campaign (Sep 29)
- Maersk Highlander Ready for Action (Aug 19)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)
Company: Marathon Oil Corp. more info
- Texas' Austin Chalk Booms While Shale Plays Remain Mostly Dormant (Dec 07)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
- Marathon Oil Cuts Capital Budget After Posting Quarterly Loss (Aug 02)