Women Who Shine: Q&A with Margareth Ovrum
Rigzone: What needs to happen in the HSE sector for people that aren’t involved with energy get on board with energy? How can the industry do a better job of spinning a positive image of oil and gas?
Ovrum: Within Statoil, to operate in a safe and efficient way - is the foundation for having the license to operate! It is all about understanding and managing risk in an efficient way; to create awareness of health and safety is an important foundation for any business.
At Statoil, we have a good foundation but need to focus on constantly improving to be Industry leading, and we have a systematic approach to fulfill this goal.
That approach is:
- Structural: To have technical integrity with clear roles and responsibilities listed
- Cultural: To create a systematic building of culture by two ways: a risk-based approach and fact-based risk assessment; and then to establish knowledge before entering into new areas (e.g. the Arctic)
- Training: To continue to train and provide education to our employees
And in order for us to be industry leaders, Statoil cannot act alone. So we have to collaborate with vendors, partners and safety authorities, and it is important for all businesses to understand and create awareness of HSE and understand that HSE is an important foundation.Ultimately, to understand and manage risk in a good way is central, for any business.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Africa's Natural Resources: Focus for Both Oil and Gas Sectors
- Apprenticeships Gain Momentum in Upstream Oil, Gas Sector
- Senate Energy, Natural Resources Committee to Vote on Keystone XL Pipeline
- Canadian Oil Sands Projects Continue to Vie for Skilled Talent
- East Africa Must Tackle Challenges to Become an Export Hub