Arrow Energy Cuts Around 250 Jobs at CSG Project in Queensland
Arrow Energy Pty Ltd, a 50-50 joint venture between Royal Dutch Shell plc and PetroChina Ltd., has cut around 250 jobs from the company's coal seam gas project in Queensland, Australia, according to local newspaper The Australian Monday.
Arrow Energy had "conducted a review of staffing levels as it manages costs ... (and) while the company acknowledges this will be a difficult time for employees, it is committed to supporting them through this transition," a company spokesman told The Australian.
The job losses reportedly included several senior managers from a workforce which had previously stood at 1,200.
The job cuts were made amid concerns over the economic viability of the project's liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant near Gladstone, Queensland, with the development plan approved by the Federal Government in December.
Arrow Energy's proposed LNG plant is likely to encounter cost pressures on wages, services and infrastructure as it will be located near three other LNG projects, which are already under construction.
"The company remains focused on finding additional value and reducing overall costs. Arrow will continue to assess development options, including collaboration opportunities, as it looks to develop significant gas reserves," the company spokesman told the Australian daily.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Nov 27)
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
Company: PetroChina more info
- China's Surging Gasoline Exports Hurting Regional Refiners (Jan 15)
- PetroChina and Qatargas Sign 22-Year LNG Supply Deal (Sep 10)
- China Watchdog Says PetroChina Pipeline Runs Through Nature Reserve (Sep 07)
Company: Arrow Energy Pty Ltd. more info
- Gas Export Boom Loser May Win From Australia Supply Crunch (May 15)
- Senex Energy Appoints New Chief Financial Officer (Jul 29)
- WDS Clinches Contract for Arrow's Daandine Expansion Project in Queensland (Jun 10)