Mubadala, Shell Swap Equity in 2 Exploration Blocks Offshore Malaysia
Mubadala Petroleum announced Sunday that the company has coupled recent exploration success with expanding interests to develop its position offshore Malaysia.
Mubadala Petroleum has signed an agreement with Shell to swap equity in two exploration blocks offshore Malaysia. Under this agreement, starting Jan. 1 Mubadala Petroleum will gain a 20 percent interest in the deepwater Block 2B while Shell will gain a 20 percent interest in Block SK320. Deepwater Block 2B is operated by Shell, Mubadala Petroleum operates Block SK320. Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd is a participant in both blocks.
Maurizio La Noce, CEO Mubadala Petroleum, commented, “The equity swap agreement is an important step for Mubadala Petroleum’s growth strategy in Malaysia and marks our first partnership in Southeast Asia with Shell, an important player in deepwater exploration. In relation to our recent exploration success, we need to do further work to determine the full extent and commerciality of those discoveries, but coupled with the new partnership with Shell, we are moving our business in Malaysia in a positive direction.”
Sintok-1 well was drilled to a depth of 9,104 feet (2775 meters) into the main target reservoir and penetrated a 951 foot (290 meter) gas-bearing carbonate reservoir. Sintok-1 will be plugged and abandoned as planned, after which a third prospect, Sirih, will be drilled, adjacent to Sintok.
Further work is required to assess more fully the nature and extent of both discoveries; additional drilling is already being planned to appraise the extent of the Pegaga discovery.
Block SK320 was awarded to Mubadala Petroleum and Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd in 2010 and contains the M5 discovery.
Deepwater Block 2B is adjacent to Block SK320 and was awarded to Shell and Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd in 2012.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: PETRONAS more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- After Europe's Gas Market Disasters, LNG May Come to the Rescue (Dec 12)
- Petronas Unit Agrees Share Swap With Shell's Africa Operator (Dec 05)
- Malaysia's Petronas Asked To Exit Myanmar In Protest Of Rohingya Crisis (Nov 08)
Company: Mubadala Development more info
- Mubadala To Hold Abu Dhabi's 2% Stake In BP (Dec 19)
- Mubadala Completes Drilling MNA-17 Well in the Manora Field Off Thailand (Sep 16)
- Abu Dhabi Plans Merger Of Sovereign Funds Mubadala And IPIC (Jun 29)