Petrofac Awards Keys Contracts for Derrick Lay Vessel
UK-based oil industry services provider Petrofac announced Thursday that it has now awarded all the key contracts for its new Petrofac JSD 6000 deepwater derrick lay vessel, which is expected to be ready by early 2017.
The vessel is based on what Petrofac called a "unique innovative design" that integrates the J-Lay, S-Lay and derrick functions. The firm said the vessel would provide it with access to high-end turnkey opportunities in the high-growth deepwater and SURF (subsea umbilicals, risers and flowlines) markets, as well as expanding access to shallow-water EPIC (engineering, procurement, installation and commissioning) projects.
Petrofac said the shipyard contract for the hull of the vessel and its marine systems has been awarded to ZPMC of China. The supplier and integrator of all electrical and control systems will be Kongsberg Maritime, Norway. IHC Engineering Business of the UK will supply the 2,000-ton J-Lay tower, while the 5,000-ton revolving crane and four deck cranes will be supplied by US-based National Oilwell Varco.
Italy's Remazel Engineering will provide two deepwater 750-ton winches, while another Italian firm, Remacut, will supply the 600-ton S-Lay tensioners and pipe handling equipment.
Petrofac Group Chief Executive Ayman Asfari commented in a company statement:
"These orders mark the next major step in Petrofac's strategic evolution, which is built on the expansion and enhancement of our expertise and capabilities from our core areas into markets where we can provide a differentiated offer to our customers.
"With more than 30 years of designing, developing, building and operating fixed facilities, both onshore and offshore, and more than a decade in subsea field development and engineering, our move into the deepwater market is a natural progression."
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Oil Industry Teams Up to Fight Cyber-Crime (Sep 29)
- Statoil, Kongsberg Sign Deal with Eelume to Develop Subsea Technology (Apr 18)
- Range Resources Ltd Production, CAPEX in Decline (Jan 27)
Company: National Oilwell Varco more info
- National Oilwell Varco Equipment Orders Rise, Loss Narrows (Feb 06)
- Robotics and Automation: The Oil, Gas Skillsets of the Future (Nov 15)
- Offshore Drillers Still Seeking Recovery Enjoyed by Shale (Feb 07)
Company: Petrofac more info
- Iraq And Petrofac Sign $369MM Deal To Build Majnoon Crude-Processing Plant (Aug 13)
- Petrofac To Sell 49% Of Mexican Operations (Jul 30)
- Petrofac Extends North Sea Contract with Chevron (Oct 05)