OMV Yet to Find Significant Oil, Gas Shows at Matuku-1 Well in PEP 51906
Octanex N.L., an Australia-based exploration company, reported Thursday that it has been advised by OMV New Zealand Limited, the Operator of the Matuku-1 exploration well being drilled in the offshore Taranaki Basin permit PEP 51906, that at 06:00 hours (NZST) Thursday, Jan. 16, the well was at a depth of 14,130 feet (4,307 meters) MDRT (measured depth below rotary table) and drilling ahead in the 8.5 inch hole.
Since the weekly progress report was released Jan 14, the 8.5 inch hole has penetrated the upper section of the Pakawau Group North Cape Formation (K90) sandstones. These sandstones were found to be less porous than the Kapuni Group Farewell Formation F Sands (T10 sands) encountered above the K90 sands. As with the T10 sands, the K90 sands were water bearing and there was no significant gas or oil shows.
On-going operations are to drill ahead to the programmed total depth of 15,583 feet (4,750 meters) and then plug and abandon the well as planned.
Matuku-1 is a vertical well that is being drilled by the Kan Tan IV (mid-water semisub) in water depths of 426 feet (130 meters).
The company's wholly-owned subsidiary, Octanex NZ Limited, holds 25 percent participating interest in PEP 51906 and this interest is being free carried by OMV through the drilling of Matuku-1 well.
The participants in the PEP 51906 permit and its Joint Venture are:
- OMV New Zealand Limited - 65 percent
- Octanex NZ Limited - 22.5 percent
- Australia and New Zealand Petroleum Limited (subsidiary of New Zealand Oil & Gas Ltd) - 12.5 percent
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Kremlin Accuses Trump of Trying to Bully Europe into Buying US LNG (Jul 12)
- Austria's OMV to Invest in UAE Offshore Oilfields in $1.5B Deal with ADNOC (Apr 05)
- OMV Ramps Up Search For Gas In Austria (Jan 29)
Company: Octanex more info
- Ophir Production Cuts First Steel for Ophir Project WHP in Malaysia (Mar 08)
- Muhibbah Says Malaysia's Ophir Field WHP EPCIC Deal is Worth $21.7M-$23.4M (Nov 30)
- OPSB Awards Malaysia's Offshore Ophir Field WHP EPCIC Contract to Muhibbah (Nov 27)
Company: New Zealand Oil & Gas more info
- NZOG Reports 15.3% Rise in Developed Reserves in Kupe Field Off Taranaki (Apr 21)
- Genesis Energy Upgrades O&G Reserves at Kupe Field Offshore Taranaki (Dec 09)
- NZOG Reports Full Year Net Loss of $4M, Eyes Under-Valued Assets (Aug 27)