Polarcus Alima Commences Seismic Survey in Taranaki Basin's PEP 51906
Australia's Octanex N.L. disclosed Tuesday that it has been advised by OMV New Zealand Limited (OMV), the Operator of the offshore Taranaki Basin permit PEP 51906 (Permit), that a new 3D seismic survey has commenced in the Permit. OMV has confirmed that the survey vessel is on location, has deployed the cable array and commenced acquiring the 3D seismic survey at approximately 1:30 am NZST today, Tuesday, Jan. 7.
The survey, named Kaka, is planned to acquire approximately 154 square miles (400 square kilometers) of new 3D seismic data from within and adjacent to PEP 51906.
The survey area is situated on a north-east structural trend between the Maui oil and gas field. The objective of the survey is to enable more precise mapping of prospective oil plays in the Palaeocene Farewell Formation and Eocene Mangahewa Formation.
The Kaka survey is being shot by the vessel “Polarcus Alima” using an array of 10 cables, with each cable being 5 miles (8 kilometers) long and spaced 328 feet (100 meters) apart. It is expected the vessel will take 23 days to complete acquisition of the new 3D data.
This new 3D seismic survey will complete and exceed the Year 5 work obligations of the Permit; which are to drill one exploration well and acquire a minimum of 119 square miles (310 square kilometers) of new 3D data. The Matuku-1 exploration well is currently being drilled by the Kan Tan IV (mid-water semisub) in the northeast of the Permit.
The Company’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Octanex NZ Limited, holds a 22.5 percent participating interest in the Permit.
The participants in the PEP 51906 permit and its Joint Venture are:
- OMV New Zealand Limited – 65.0 percent
- Octanex NZ Limited – 22.5 percent
- Australia and New Zealand Petroleum Limited (Subsidiary of New Zealand Oil & Gas Ltd) – 12.5 percent
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Qatargas Signs Deal To Deliver LNG To Austria's OMV (Dec 20)
- CEO: OMV To Become Bigger, Grow Marketing Outside Of Europe (Dec 20)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
Company: Octanex more info
- Ophir Production Cuts First Steel for Ophir Project WHP in Malaysia (Mar 08)
- Muhibbah Says Malaysia's Ophir Field WHP EPCIC Deal is Worth $21.7M-$23.4M (Nov 30)
- OPSB Awards Malaysia's Offshore Ophir Field WHP EPCIC Contract to Muhibbah (Nov 27)
Company: New Zealand Oil & Gas more info
- NZOG Reports 15.3% Rise in Developed Reserves in Kupe Field Off Taranaki (Apr 21)
- Genesis Energy Upgrades O&G Reserves at Kupe Field Offshore Taranaki (Dec 09)
- NZOG Reports Full Year Net Loss of $4M, Eyes Under-Valued Assets (Aug 27)