Japan Australia LNG Terminates Purchase Deal with Woodside for Browse LNG
Woodside Petroleum Limited provided an update Thursday on the Browse LNG (liquefied natural gas) project in Western Australia.
In connection with Woodside's sale of equity in the Browse LNG Development to Japan Australia LNG (MIMI Browse) Pty Ltd (MIMI) and advised to the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) May 1, 2012:
- Woodside and MIMI entered into an agreement (JMA) to jointly market co-mingled LNG to the Asian market, primarily to Japanese customers; and
- Woodside and MIMI entered into a long-term sales and purchase agreement (SPA) for around 1.5 million tons of LNG a year from the Browse LNG Development
The SPA was conditional upon a final investment decision on Browse being taken by Dec. 31, 2013. As a result of the Browse joint venture participants deciding not to proceed with an onshore development and to enter Basis of Design for a floating LNG development concept, both parties recognize that this condition will not be satisfied. Consequently, MIMI has today given Woodside notice terminating the SPA. The JMA has not been terminated.
Woodside and MIMI continue working actively on marketing of co-mingled LNG volumes in the Japanese market. In addition, Woodside remains in ongoing discussions with other regional customers regarding potential sales from its portfolio of Australian LNG developments, including Browse.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Woodside To Raise $2B, Look To Offshore Gas Project For Growth (Feb 14)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
- Global LNG: Faltering Supply Prompts Short-Covering Price Rally (Aug 11)
Company: Japan Australia more info
- Australia's Browse FLNG JV Decides Not to Proceed with Development (Mar 23)
- NWS JV to Develop $2B Greater Western Flank Phase 2 Project Off Australia (Dec 11)
- NWS JV to Develop $1B Persephone Project Off Northwest Australia (Nov 27)