Rig Under Construction Sinks at Daewoo Shipyard in South Korea
OSLO, Dec 28 (Reuters) - A rig under construction at a Daewoo shipyard in South Korea, ordered by Norway's Odfjell Drilling and intended for use by BP, sank on Saturday, a contractor who had staff working on board at the time of the accident told Reuters.
The incident was at a shipyard owned by Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME) off Geoje Island on the south coast.
"The rig has sunk and lies on the seabed by the quay. It is not submerged," said Tor Henning Ramfjord, chief executive of National Oilwell Varco Norway.
A spokesman for Daewoo, however, described the accident as minor. He said the rig had tilted slightly due to a problem with a drainpipe at the bottom, which was being repaired.
There were no immediate reports of injuries. It was unclear how many staff were on the rig, Deepsea Aberdeen (DW semisub), at the time of the accident.
The rig was to be used by BP for drilling at the Schiehallion and Loyal fields in British waters, BP said on its website.
Ramfjord said 38 employees of his company were on the rig at the time of the accident. All were safe, he said.
A spokesman for Odfjell Drilling also said the rig had sunk.
"Water seeped into the hull of a rig we ordered from DSME in South Korea. The hull is now at the bottom of the dock," Odfjell Drilling spokesman Gisle Johanson told Norwegian public broadcaster NRK.
All Odfjell Drilling employees were safe, he said.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- Owners of Louisiana-Illinois Pipeline Eye Reversal Next Steps (Dec 21)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
Company: DSME more info
- Seadrill Defers Delivery of Drillships from DSME (Jan 15)
- DSME Files Complaint with LMAA Over Songa Offshore's Newbuild Semisubs (Jul 31)
- DNV Launches JIP with South Korean Yards to Reduce Project Cost by 15% (Jul 23)
Company: Odfjell Drilling more info
- Oil Slump No Obstacle to 300% Return for Norwegian Driller (Aug 24)
- Statoil Extends Drilling Services Contracts, Kicks Off JS Platform Work (Mar 31)
- Odfjell Sees Continuing Tough Market for Offshore Drillers (Feb 29)