Wolf Gets Encouraging Geochemical Results in Mongolia's Sukhbaatar Block
Mongolian oil explorer Wolf Petroleum Limited reported Tuesday that additional geophysical analysis on samples taken from seismic shot holes has identified additional abundant light crude oil seeps and gaseous hydrocarbon anomalies.
- Wolf's recent geochemical results have reaffirmed the Company's previous results that had identified the existence of an active petroleum system within the Toson Tolgoi and Talbulag Basins located on the Company's 100 percent owned Sukhbaatar Block
- High gravity oil seeps have been identified in 90 out of 522 samples analyzed
- Medium gravity oil seeps have been identified in 32 out of 522 samples analyzed
- Propane (C3) gaseous hydrocarbon anomalies have been identified in 63 out of 522 samples analyzed
The Company has collected over 7,500 samples from the bottom of seismic shot holes and analyzed a total of 522 samples (242 in the first batch and 280 in the second) to date. The samples were collected at 2,165 foot (660 meter) intervals for analysis of hydrocarbon gases (C1 to C4) and oil (crude oil determination by fluorescence method).
An additional 207 samples are currently being analyzed with results expected to be available in the coming month.
The intention of the geochemical analysis was to confirm the presence of oil in the Toson Tolgoi and Talbulag Basins and to assist with interpreting seismic data in order to identify drilling targets.
Crude oil seeps are most concentrated over the east and west edges of the eastern side of the Toson Tolgoi Basin and are also near a structural high at the south western edge of the Tabulag Basin.
There appears to be a number of light crude oil microseeps in the western end of the Toson Tolgoi basin, and this will be confirmed once the remaining 207 samples are analyzed.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Wolf Petroleum Reports Higher Oil Resource Estimate at Mongolia's SB Block (May 05)
- Wolf Gets Encouraging Geochemical Results in Mongolia's Sukhbaatar Block (Dec 04)
- Wolf Petroleum Acquires 2D Seismic Data in Sukhbaatar Block in Mongolia (Oct 09)