Russia Charges 30 with Piracy Over Greenpeace Arctic Protest
Putin said last month that the Greenpeace activists were clearly not pirates but that they had violated international law. Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said on Wednesday that concern for the environment could not justify illegal activity.
Gazprom unit Gazprom Neft Shelf said in an email to Reuters that the company is on track to begin oil production at Prirazlomnoye, the project which is served by the Prirazlomnaya platform, by the end of the year.
Gazprom has cited technical reasons for past delays to the start of production at Prirazlomnoye, which has estimated reserves of 526 million barrels of oil, and the firm expects to reach peak production of 120,000 barrels per day in 7-8 years.
Greenpeace believes efforts to drill in the Arctic for fossil fuels that contribute to climate change and ice melt are "a vicious circle we need to break", said Ben Ayliffe, head of the group's Arctic oil campaign.
He said that there is no known way of effectively cleaning up an oil spill in ice and that research showed that a major disaster at Prirazlomnaya could pollute over 3,000 kilometres (nearly 1,900 miles) of coastline.
"Gazprom is simply not prepared to deal with an oil spill at Prirazlomnaya," he said.
Gazprom said in the email that it was capable of tackling any possible spills at the project.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 16 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- ExxonMobil to Lead Construction, Ops of Mozambique LNG Facilities (Dec 13)
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
Company: OAO Gazprom more info
- Court Rejects PGniG's Attempt To Limit Gazprom's Use Of Opal Pipeline (Oct 13)
- Russia's Gazprom Signs LNG Supply Deal With Ghana (Sep 18)
- Gazprom Says Sanctions Won't Stop Nord Stream 2 Pipeline Project (Aug 30)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Statoil Greenlights $6B Flagship Arctic Oil Project (Dec 05)
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- Italy Prosecutors Probe Eni For Tax Evasion At Refineries (Nov 22)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)