Statoil Finds Gas at Ice Crystal Prospect
Statoil reported Monday that it has made a gas discovery at the Iskrystall (Ice Crystal) prospect on production license 608 in the Norwegian zone of the Barents Sea. However, the company pointed out that it had been seeking oil at the prospect.
Well 7129/8-2, which was drilled by the West Hercules (DW semisub) rig, has proved an approximately 655-foot gas column, according to Statoil. The firm estimates the size of the discovery to be between six and 25 million barrels of oil equivalent.
Ice Crystal was the second of four prospects to be drilled in the Johan Castberg area this year with the aim of providing additional volumes for the Johan Castberg field development project. The first prospect, Nunatak, resulted in a small gas discovery.
"Our main goal was to find oil in Iskrystall, but unfortunately it did not materialize. We still believe we can prove more oil resources in the Johan Castberg area and will continue our exploration effort with two more wells in the Skavl and Kramsnø prospects," Gro G. Haatvedt, Statoil’s senior vice president for exploration in Norway, said.
After completion of Iskrystall, the West Hercules rig will move back to the production license 532 to drill the Skavl prospect. Skavl is situated approximately three miles south of the Skrugard discovery (now part of Johan Castberg).
Statoil, the operator of production license 608, holds a 50-percent stake, while its partners Eni Norge and Petoro hold 30 percent and 20 percent respectively.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil May Build Onshore Terminal for Castberg Oil -Minister (Jan 16)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- BSEE: Italy's Eni Begins Drilling Oil Well In Alaska's Beaufort Sea (Dec 27)
- Eni 'Mission Impossible' Points to Seismic Shift for Big Oil (Dec 22)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)