At Least One Worker Injured in Scarabeo-5 Fire
A fire broke out early Friday morning on the Scarabeo-5 (DW semisub) rig at the Keppel Verolme yard in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, according to news reports.
Conflicting reports Friday afternoon indicate between one and three people have been injured in the fire, which was reported to have been caused by a gas leak. Several Dutch news outlets have stated that one employee suffered burns to the face.
Statoil, which has hired the Scarabeo-5 rig from its operator Saipem, confirmed to Rigzone that all its staff aboard the rig were safe.
"We had five employees on board. They are all safe. We also had 12 persons that work for our third-party suppliers and they are all accounted for, are safe and have no physical injuries," a Statoil spokesman told Rigzone.
The Scarabeo-5 rig is a fifth-generation vessel, usually crewed by 180 people, that has been operating on the Norwegian continental shelf (NCS) since 1990. The rig had been working on the NCS for Statoil when it arrived at the Rotterdam shipyard for its five-yearly overhaul. It had been due to be returned to Statoil this month.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil May Build Onshore Terminal for Castberg Oil -Minister (Jan 16)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
Company: Saipem more info
Manages 12 Offshore Rigs
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
- Ifax: Saipem To Conduct Feasibility Study On Rosneft Chemical Plant (Sep 15)
- Saipem to Build Pipelines for Kuwait Refinery Project (Aug 16)