InterOil Says Talks with Exxon Ongoing Over PNG Gas Fields
InterOil Corp and ExxonMobil Corp remain in talks to jointly develop InterOil's Elk and Antelope natural gas fields in Papua New Guinea, InterOil said on Friday after a website reported negotiations had ended without an agreement.
InterOil's shares fell as much as 12 percent following the report in PNG Industry News.
The news service, citing an unidentified source, said the talks were "dead" and that ExxonMobil's exclusive period for negotiations had ended.
InterOil, responding to a query from the New York Stock Exchange, said its policy was to not comment on market speculation or negotiations. But it added: "Negotiations with ExxonMobil Papua New Guinea Ltd regarding an agreement to monetize the Elk and Antelope fields are ongoing."
ExxonMobil spokesman Patrick McGinn declined to comment.
ExxonMobil needs gas for its $19 billion Papua New Guinea liquefied natural gas (PNG LNG) project.
InterOil, which has its headquarters in Cairns, Australia, was awarded the license to develop the fields in November 2010. The license covers nine blocks surrounding the Elk and Antelope fields.
The talks also included funding of InterOil and its partner Pacific LNG to drill additional delineation wells in the fields.
InterOil shares were down 5 percent at $70.38 in early afternoon trading.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil May Add Gulf Coast Polypropylene Capacity (Mar 20)
- Traders: ExxonMobil Buys LNG To Chill Quake-Hit Papua New Guinea Project (Mar 19)
- Oil, Gas Leaders Warn Trump He Risks Harming Their Industry (Mar 16)
Company: InterOil Corporation more info
- Exxon's South Pacific Gas Grab Derided By InterOil's Founder (Jul 26)
- Oil, Gas Companies Tighten Cash Flow at Expense of Future Growth (Jul 26)
- Oil Search Won't Counter Exxon Bid For Gas Explorer InterOil (Jul 21)