Sources: Rosneft to Sign Oil and Gas Deal with Azerbaijan
MOSCOW/BAKU, Aug 13 (Reuters) - Russia's top crude producer Rosneft will sign a broad oil and gas cooperation agreement with Azerbaijan on Tuesday, industry sources said, the first step towards increasing its presence in a country Europe hopes will help meet its energy demand.
Europe is vying for gas from Azerbaijan, a former Soviet republic seen as a safe alternative to Russia after Moscow's "gas wars" with Ukraine disrupted deliveries in 2006 and 2009.
Sources at Azeri state energy company SOCAR and in Russia's Energy Ministry said the agreement would not stipulate details of the cooperation between Rosneft and Azerbaijan, where the oil industry is dominated by Western oil majors such as BP, Statoil and Exxon Mobil.
"An agreement between Rosneft and SOCAR will be signed on Tuesday. Concrete projects will be defined in the next six months," a source at the Azeri state company told Reuters.
Both Rosneft and SOCAR declined to comment.
The deal will be signed during a visit by Russian President Vladimir Putin to the Azeri capital Baku where he is due to meet his counterpart, Ilham Aliyev.
The deal comes at a time when Rosneft is trying to end an export monopoly on Russian gas by Kremlin-controlled company, Gazprom. Rosneft has teamed up with Exxon Mobil to build a liquefied natural gas producing plant in the Russia's far east later this decade.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Eni Says Is Drilling In Black Sea Project While Monitoring US Sanctions (Jan 24)
- Russia's Rosneft, In U-Turn, Plans To Bid For Alrosa's Gas Assets (Dec 29)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
Company: SOCAR more info
- BP, Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Sign Caspian Sea Exploration Deal In 2017 (Oct 12)
- Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Boost Its Share In New Deal With BP On Oil Fields (Sep 08)
- Azerbaijan's SOCAR Sees H2 2016 Net Profit At $298 MM (Jan 17)