BG Group Confirms Withdrawal of Staff from Egypt
BG Group plc confirmed to Rigzone Tuesday morning that it has withdrawn expatriate staff from Egypt amid the increasing civil unrest in the country in the wake of last week's military coup.
Recent reports had indicated that the company had withdrawn 100 of its 150 expatriate staff from Egypt.
In a statement to Rigzone a BG spokesman said: "Naturally, the safety of our personnel is our first priority and fortunately all our people are safe and accounted for. We have withdrawn some of our people – non-essential staff, contractors and dependents via scheduled flights – but essential staff remain in the country."
The spokesman added that BG Group's production and LNG operations in Egypt remain unaffected by recent events in the country.
BG Group's move followed news that BP plc had also withdrawn expat staff from the country. On Monday, BP confirmed to Rigzone that it has taken out 60 of its staff as a precautionary measure and that there had been no impact on the firm's production operations.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- Owners of Louisiana-Illinois Pipeline Eye Reversal Next Steps (Dec 21)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)