Cuadrilla Received Interest from Several Majors about Shale Asset
Owners of prospective U.K. shale acreage spurned interest from four of the world's biggest oil companies Exxon Mobil Corp., Royal Dutch Shell PLC, Total SA and Statoil ASA in favor of a deal with Centrica PLC, a person familiar with the matter said Friday.
The U.K.'s largest energy retailer Centrica, which owns British Gas, was favored due to its perceived ability to more easily maneuver through political risks, the person said.
"Centrica's expertise in the energy sector as both an operator and developer provides a welcome boost for the growth of shale gas in the U.K.," said U.K. Energy Minister Michael Fallon in a statement following Centrica's announcement Thursday that it would invest up to £100 million ($156.8 million) in the Bowland shale formation, initially acquiring a 25% interest for £40 million from Cuadrilla Resources Ltd., the U.K.'s leading shale-gas explorer, and Australian energy-and-mining company AJ Lucas Ltd.
The deal underscores the growing interest in U.K. shale gas reserves as the government there seeks to replicate the North American shale gas revolution that has transformed the U.S. energy market. It is hoped a shale gas boom could assist in shaking off economic stagnation by lowering the cost of energy for businesses and consumers, and creating jobs. No shale gas has yet been produced in the U.K.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- Oil, Gas Leaders Warn Trump He Risks Harming Their Industry (Mar 16)
- Exxon Mobil Partnering With Pakistan for Third LNG Terminal (Mar 16)
- Tillerson Has 180 Million Reasons Not to Return to Oil Industry (Mar 13)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 30 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Heavy Hitters Line Up to Dive Into Mexico's Deep Waters (Jan 26)
- UK Firm Intertek Says Employee Involved in Shell Oil Theft Case (Jan 17)
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Exec: Statoil Has Room To Grow More In North Dakota's Bakken (Mar 06)
- Big Oil CEOs Appeal to Norway to Back Carbon Capture and Storage (Feb 15)
- Norwegian Police Investigate 2016 Hydrogen Leak At Statoil Refinery (Feb 09)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Eni Promises Richer Returns After Exploration Success (Mar 16)
- Exxon, Total, Repsol Among Bidders For Oil Exploration Off Greece (Mar 05)
- Total, Edison Get Greek Go-Ahead For Oil And Gas Exploration (Feb 28)
Company: Centrica PLC more info
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Centrica Merges Oil Business with Bayerngas to Tap Younger Fields (Jul 17)