Rig Secured for Malta Area 4 Drill
Mediterranean Oil & Gas (MOG) reported Thursday that its partner Genel Energy has secured the Paul Romano (DW semisub) rig to drill an exploration well offshore Malta Area 4 during the fourth quarter of 2013.
The Paul Romano rig, which Genel has contracted with Noble Corporation, is currently undergoing a five-year class survey in Valleta, Malta. It has a rated water depth of up to 5,900 feet and is capable of drilling to depth of approximately 24,600 feet.
The rig will be used to drill the Hagar Qim 1 exploration well in Area 4 in water depths of up to 1,500 feet and will target reservoirs at a depth of approximately 8,200 feet. MOG(which has a 25-percent interest in Area 4) and Genel are seeking gross prospective resources in the Lower Eocene/Paleocene that are estimated at 109 million barrels of oil equivalent.
MOG Chief Executive Dr Bill Higgs commented in a company statement:
"We are very pleased to be able to reach agreement with Genel to use the Noble Paul Romano for the drilling of our joint exploration well offshore Malta later this year. We are excited to progress the exploration of this frontier basin offshore southern Malta."
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Manages 28 Offshore Rigs
- Sembcorp Marine Delivers World's Largest Jackup Noble Lloyd Noble (Jul 18)
- Oil Industry Maintains Country Club Culture During Downturn (May 23)
- Freeport to Pay Noble $540 Million to Not Use 2 Oil Rigs (May 10)
Company: Mediterranean Oil & Gas more info
- Rockhopper 'Well Placed' to Take Advantage of Low Oil Price (Sep 15)
- Hagar Qim Rig Completes Drilling (Jul 09)
- Eni Sees Further Problems at Guendalina Field (Jun 19)
Company: Genel Enerji A.S. more info
- Genel can 'Plan with Confidence' in 2017 after KRG Payment Promise (Jan 24)
- KRG Delivers Payments to Genel, DNO, Gulf for Tawke, Shaikan Production (Jan 23)
- AkerBP, Cairn Energy Make Jefferies Top Pick List (Jan 09)