ConocoPhillips Spuds Proteus Well Offshore WA
Karoon Gas Australia Ltd. advised that the Proteus‐1 exploration well was spud at 04:28 hours (WDT) Monday.
The Transocean Legend (mid-water semisub) is drilling the exploration well, which is operated by ConocoPhillips. ConocoPhillips is the operator of the jointly held WA‐314‐P, WA‐315‐P and WA‐398‐P Browse Basin permits containing the previously announced Greater Poseidon gas discoveries. Karoon Gas Australia Ltd holds 40% of the permit WA‐315‐P and WA‐398‐P, and 90% of permit WA‐314‐P.
Proteus‐1 is the third well in the exploration program. Proteus‐1 is located in permit WA‐398‐P on a large tilted fault block approximately 8.7 miles (14 kilometers) south east of the Poseidon‐1 discovery well.
Upcoming Well Program
The exploration program, operated by ConocoPhillips, plans to utilize the Transocean Legend semisubmersible for the entire campaign and is expected to continue through 2013.
A minimum of five wells will be drilled during the exploration program. The principal objective of the exploration program is to better define the size and quality of the hydrocarbon accumulations within the exploration permits which contain the greater Poseidon trend.
Additional well locations for the remainder of the program will be announced as they obtain joint venture approval.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- Why Canada Is The Next Frontier For Shale Oil (Jan 29)
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
Company: Karoon Gas Australia Ltd. more info
- Karoon Buys PEPC's 35% Stake in 4 Santos Basin Blocks in Brazil for $20.5M (Sep 28)
- PEPC Makes Overdue Payment to Karoon for Brazil's Santos Basin Blocks (Jun 16)
- Karoon Issues Default Notice to Santos Basin Block Partner PEPC (Jun 15)