BG, Statoil, ExxonMobil Further Boost East African Gas Resources
LONDON - BG Group PLC Monday said it had completed an appraisal program that further confirmed the natural gas resource and production potential offshore Tanzania, underscoring East Africa's importance as one of the energy industry's hottest new regions.
Separately, Statoil ASA and partner ExxonMobil Corp. announced Monday their third discovery in Block 2 offshore Tanzania.
The mounting volume of gas discoveries off the coast of East Africa has stimulated a wave of interest in the region, culminating in China National Petroleum Corp.'s $4.21 billion acquisition last week of 20% of Eni SpA's giant Mozambique offshore natural gas field.
Anadarko Petroleum Corp. has also attracted interest from several companies including Exxon Mobil, Royal Dutch Shell PLC, India's state-run Oil & Natural Gas Corp. and Oil India Ltd. with the offer of a share of its natural gas discoveries offshore Mozambique, people familiar with the matter told Dow Jones Newswires last week.
BG Group said testing on its Jodari-1 field offshore Tanzania showed better-than-expected reservoir properties, demonstrating that wells could produce at higher rates. BG Group holds a 60% interest in the discoveries offshore Tanzania, with Ophir Energy holding 40%.
"The test results confirm the Jodari reservoir's world-class quality; and the potential for the field to underpin the LNG development," said Nick Cooper, chief executive of U.K.-listed Ophir Energy PLC. Mr. Cooper was referring to a liquefied natural gas terminal that could be part of gas development in Tanzania.
BG Group is in the process of selecting a site for an onshore LNG terminal. The capacity of the terminal will be determined by further exploration and appraisal results across the company's three offshore blocks. BG estimates the total resource in Tanzania at nearly 10 trillion cubic feet.
Statoil said its latest Tanzania find brings recoverable gas volumes now discovered in the country to between 10 trillion and 13 trillion cubic feet. "[This] brings further robustness to a future decision on a potential LNG project", said Statoil's executive vice president for Exploration, Tim Dodson.
Statoil has a 65% stake in the discoveries, with Exxon Mobil holding the remaining 35%.
Eni and Anadarko have also said they are studying plans to build a LNG plant in Mozambique. Analysts say the region is well-placed to serve growing energy demand in Asian markets.
Kjetil Malkenes Hovland in Oslo contributed to this story.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 16 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
- ExxonMobil to Evaluate Offshore Mauritania Blocks (Dec 04)
- ExxonMobil To Merge Refining And Marketing Divisions (Dec 01)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Statoil Greenlights $6B Flagship Arctic Oil Project (Dec 05)
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)