Petronas Awards PSC Offshore Sabah to 3-Member Partnership
State-backed Petronas has awarded a production sharing contract (PSC) to a three-member partnership for its SB311 block, offshore Sabah.
In a statement emailed to Rigzone Thursday, the company revealed that the partnership consists of ConocoPhillips Sabah Gas, Shell Energy Asia and Petronas Carigali. Under the terms of the inked contract, ConocoPhillips will hold a participating interest of 40 percent in the block, while the other two partners will each hold a 30 percent stake.
The block, which spans over 410 square miles (1,064 square kilometers), is located in the central part of the Sabah Basin in water depths ranging from 164 feet to 328 feet (50 to 100 meters).
The partners plan to drill two wildcat wells, acquire 249 miles (400 kilometers) of 2D seismic data and re-process existing 3D seismic data on the block.
Malaysia holds Asia's third largest oil reserves, with most of its fields located offshore. But the country, like Indonesia, has been grappling with a decline in oil production as its established fields are maturing. As of last year, Malaysia's daily oil production stood at 630,000 barrels, well below the country's peak oil production in 2004 when it produced 860,000 barrels of oil per day.
The country's government has vowed this year to plough investment dollars into enhancing oil recovery in its mature assets, as well as develop gas recovery in its offshore fields.
Petronas inked a PSC with Shell Malaysia Nov. 27 to explore for oil and gas on Block SK319, also offshore Sarawak.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 30 Offshore Rigs
- UK Firm Intertek Says Employee Involved in Shell Oil Theft Case (Jan 17)
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)
Company: PETRONAS more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- After Europe's Gas Market Disasters, LNG May Come to the Rescue (Dec 12)
- Petronas Unit Agrees Share Swap With Shell's Africa Operator (Dec 05)
- Malaysia's Petronas Asked To Exit Myanmar In Protest Of Rohingya Crisis (Nov 08)