Imperial Oil Extends Canada Base with Celtic Exploration Acquisition
Imperial Oil announced it will participate as a 50-percent owner with ExxonMobil Canada Ltd. in Celtic Exploration Ltd. The acquisition of 100 percent of Celtic by ExxonMobil Canada announced Oct. 17, 2012 is conditional upon approval by Celtic Exploration's shareholders and Canadian regulatory authorities. Imperial Oil's participation will occur immediately after the acquisition closes, by means of a sale of a 50-percent interest in Celtic from ExxonMobil Canada to Imperial Oil. This investment represents a $1.55 billion commitment by Imperial Oil.
ExxonMobil Canada and Imperial Oil will acquire 545,000 net acres in the liquids-rich Montney shale, 104,000 net acres in the Duvernay shale and additional acreage in other areas of Alberta. Current production of the acreage to be acquired is 72 million cubic feet per day of natural gas and 4,000 barrels per day of condensate and natural gas liquids. The assets were estimated by Calgary-based Celtic Exploration at December 31, 2011 to include an estimated 128 million oil equivalent barrels of proved plus probable reserves, of which 24 percent are condensate and natural gas liquids and 76 percent natural gas.
"This acquisition will allow Imperial to diversify its strong resource base in Canada with an attractive liquids-rich natural gas play," Chairman and CEO of Imperial Oil Limited Bruce March said. "We continue to leverage our strong balance sheet and solid financial position to grow the company through strategic resource capture in key opportunity areas. This new venture represents a significant opportunity to leverage ExxonMobil's expertise in shale gas development and add value for Imperial shareholders."
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 15 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil's Reserves Jump 19% On Growth In US Shale, UAE (Feb 09)
- ExxonMobil Hits Baytown Ethane Cracker Milestone (Feb 07)
- ExxonMobil Stock Rout Deepens as Profit Flub Meets S&P 500 Plunge (Feb 05)
Company: Imperial Oil more info
- Canada's Imperial Oil Misses Profit Estimate As Expenses Weigh (Feb 02)
- Canada's Imperial Oil Posts Unexpected 2Q Loss (Jul 28)
- Imperial Oil Profit Boosted By Asset-Sale Gain (Jan 31)
Company: Celtic Exploration Ltd. more info
- ExxonMobil Completes Acquisition of Celtic Exploration (Feb 26)
- Celtic Says Yes to $3.1B ExxonMobil Takover (Dec 18)
- Imperial Oil Extends Canada Base with Celtic Exploration Acquisition (Nov 28)