BP Agrees $325 Million Settlement with Russian Partners
LONDON - BP PLC has agreed to pay its partners in the TNK-BP joint venture $325 million as part of a wide-ranging settlement deal announced earlier Tuesday, a person familiar with the matter said.
Long-fractious relations between the U.K. oil giant and the group of Soviet-born billionaires behind the Alfa Access Renova consortium appeared to have been soothed with both sets of shareholders announcing a "comprehensive agreement" to settle all disputes between them, including protracted arbitrations brought by each side against the other.
Both BP and AAR declined to comment on whether any payments were made in respect of the settlement.
However, the deal included a payment of $325 million by BP to AAR, the person said. It isn't yet clear whether part or all of money has been paid, or whether the payment still has to be made.
The settlement ends years of tensions between the partners and paves the way for a multi-billion-dollar buyout of both sets of shareholders by Russian state-owned behemoth OAO Rosneft. BP and AAR had been mired in litigation since last January, when AAR blocked BP's proposed deal with Rosneft to explore the Arctic.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- Owners of Louisiana-Illinois Pipeline Eye Reversal Next Steps (Dec 21)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
Company: Rosneft more info
- Russia's Rosneft, In U-Turn, Plans To Bid For Alrosa's Gas Assets (Dec 29)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
- Russia's Rosneft Signs Oil Supply Deal With Greece's Motor Oil (Nov 20)
Company: TNK-BP more info
- Rosneft Board Member Rejects Criticism of TNK-BP Buyout (Oct 04)
- Rosneft: TNK-BP Integration 'Mostly Complete' (Jun 20)
- TNK-BP Acquisition Boosts Rosneft's 1Q Production (Apr 30)